cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my files are missing?

All my files are missing?

Explorer | Level 3

I had a Dropbox Plus account a few years back and would frequently upload pictures and files using the Iphone app. After switching back to Dropbox basic since I didnt need that much storage anymore, I deleted the app from my phone when I got a new phone and just never redownloaded it. A couple years later I now log in to my account and every file is completely gone except for 6 random pictures. What happened here? I know I saved them to the app but now they are nowhere to be found. 

7 Replies 7

Re: All my files are missing?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Mm9242; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about your missing files. 

When is the last time you remember seeing those files in our website?

Do you see any file activity in your events page? This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged so it should give you a hint. 

Keep me posted on your findings! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
There is no activity in the events page at all. It’s as if there was never anything there at all just the 6 pictures left. According to my ‘manage devices’ page, I last accessed it on my old phone 3 years ago. But I know I logged in on the desktop after then and everything was still there. Maybe they got deleted because it’s been so many years?

Dropboxer

Since you mentioned having the desktop app installed @Mm9242, it is possible that you moved the files from the Dropbox folder to another location on your computer while the app was running?

This would have removed the files from your Dropbox account, but kept the files on your computer.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
I didn’t think of this. This is definitely a possibility. Unfortunately I no longer have the laptop that I used when I had the desktop app.....

Dropboxer

Hi @Mm9242, are you certain that this is the same account you were using? Could you have another email address you use, which could also be associated with a Dropbox account of its own?

It's possible that the files might be located there.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
I thought of that also, but I am certain that I only had 1 Dropbox account on which I paid monthly for Dropbox plus and the history on this account does show the payments for that.

Dropboxer

If that's the case, then it sounds like the files were deleted from the account a while ago, if the events page isn't showing the changes, so it wouldn't be possible to recover any files from the account.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you require any further info, please let me know.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?