cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my files have gone

All my files have gone

Explorer | Level 3

So strange one, we had a client that shared their drop box with us for content, we then stopped workign with them and they removed our access, however all the files that i had in my personal drop box and all my staffs personal files have all been removed.

surely thats not possible, is there any way to restore this?

12 Replies 12

Re: All my files have gone

Dropboxer

Hi @jordan2318, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the missing files. When you say that they 'shared their Dropbox', do you mean they gave you the credentials to login to their account, or vice versa, or was it done via a shared folder?

Is it possible that your account was signed into one of their machines, which they then used to delete the files from the account directly? Are you able to recover your files from the Dropbox site here?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay

Checked the recently deleted and there is nothing in there.

They basically just shared folders with our email accounts, so we could essentially access images and docs within a shared folder.

They then simply removed our access and all of us have lost our  ownfiles in our private accounts.

Seems so strange.

Explorer | Level 3

@Jay sorry think i forgot to tag you in my response

if you could review that would be great. Thanks

Dropboxer

If they removed your access to the folders, then only they can restore your access to the files.

If you had your own personal accounts, then they can't delete all the files in your accounts completely, unless they were part of a paid Dropbox Business team.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

@Jay i understand, but i dont need access to their files anymore, however all my personal folder that i have used for years with all my own files have been removed, surely they cant do that even with a business account, why would they have access to my personal drop box folders that ive never given them access to?

Dropboxer

If you were a member of a Dropbox Business team, on an Advanced plan, the team admin can sign in as any user on their team and make any changes they wish.

As to whether or not they made changes, I wouldn't know from here. Do you see any changes to files in the events page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

@Jay im still a bit lost, so i have my own dropbox account ive had for years, my client invited me to see files in their dropbox account, surely they wouldnt be able to log in to my dropbox account, different company email address etc, that surely cant happen when i just want to access their files for a project?

checked the events and there is nothing, its as if i have a brand new empty drop box account

Dropboxer

You said you received an invite, do you have that email in your inbox? Does it state that you would be joining a Dropbox Business team, or is it just an invite to a shared folder? A screenshot of this, while hiding personal info, would be appreciated.

As mentioned previously, team admins on the Advanced plan can access your account if you're part of the team and delete files as necessary.

Are you certain that you don't have another Dropbox account that might contain your files on it?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

@Jay im pretty sure i only have one drop box account, its my work email, this is the email i had, i was just accessing the links

screen.jpg

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?