cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Today 6 August 2019 all my files in dropbox suddenly have .masok extention. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. for example (Excel found unreadable content in filename.xlsx do you want to receover the contetns of this document? if you trust the source of this document, click yes). When I click yes i obtain the following error (excel experienced error , et...). I was able to recover the original file by using internet browser, logging to my account, going to version history, opening the file, and downloading it. but this is cumbersome since i have 10 giabytes of files i would like to receover. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you Dropbox team for solving my problem.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23
Highlighted

Re: masok file extention

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @dralbahri, I ran a quick google-search on my end & it looks like a device linked to your Dropbox account has been infected by malware which has in turn encrypted your files causing them to become inaccessible. This can be scary, but our team can usually help restore access to your files.

As this pertains to account-specific details, I’ve now sent you a brief message through our Official Support channel & once you reply back to me, I’ll forward that to a specialized colleague, so as to proceed with a restoration on your behalf . Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Today 6 August 2019 all my files in dropbox suddenly have .masok extention. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. for example (Excel found unreadable or some chinese type content. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Best regards

Faheem khan

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

OMG 

same problem herre !!!

help me..  my files in & out droopbox are infected :(

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the nudge here @yousafzai191 & @rogoti, I’ve now sent you a brief message & once you reply back to me through our Official Support channel, I’ll submit your restoration requests to a specialized team member. Please have a look at your inboxes for my email at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there. Thanks again!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: All my files in Dropbox suddenly have the .masok file extension. What should I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I have same error about my D:  disk what can I do ?

Highlighted

My Dropbox all files got MASOK.extension, How to solve

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yesteday 6 August 2019 all my files in my company dropbox suddenly have .masok extension. For example my excel files now have .xlsx.masok extension. the same is for word, jpeg and pdf and other files; they all now have .masok added to the file name extension. When i try to open any of these files I obtain error. Any suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Highlighted

Re: My Dropbox all files got MASOK.extension, How to solve

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Hoong, I’ve moved your post to this thread to keep troubleshooting consistent, as other users are experiencing this behavior too. 

In order to have a more in-depth look on this matter, @Hoong and @Onur, I’ve sent you both a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profiles. 

When you have the chance, please check your inboxes for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from the you, peeps!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

We also experience the same issue. We badly needed all the files in our dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kcaballero, sorry to hear that. 

I've sent you a ticket to your Community-associated email address to look into this with you using our internal tools. 

Please check your inbox for my message and don't hesitate to get back to me there. Thanks!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?