cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All shared folders suddenly removed

All shared folders suddenly removed

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Community

I am an organisation of 1 person, and have multiple computers. Essentially a freelancer. I have multiple shared folders, some are owned by me, some by other freelancers / agencies etc. For some reason dropbox has removed my access to ALL of these folders over a couple of hours this morning. When I check the events log is states it was me who removed my access. Which I did not. Some of these shared folders go back several years, some more recent. Im at a loss to understand how this happened and how to restore access. I could see the folders being removed in the notification window. Could this be a Virus? Any thoughts most welcome. 

dropbox events.png

5 Replies 5

Re: All shared folders suddenly removed

Dropboxer

Hi @lampiejim, thanks for joining the Community!

If you didn't remove your access from the shared folders, then it means that the owner(s) of the shared folders permanently removed your access from their end.

As they are technically the owner of the folder, you'd need to reach out to them to invite you back to the shared folders again. It wouldn't be possible to add it back to your account from the shared folder page.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

also.... 

Just logged on and a load of files were deleted overnight by me (whilst i was asleep and my computer switched off)

Could my dropbox have been hacked? 

Thanks in advacne

J

dropbox eventss_png.jpg

Dropboxer

Deletion events can show up later on that page, depending on how long it takes to delete them from the site. 

Were these deleted files in your private folders, or via shared folders you still have access to?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Belated thanks jay

They were in a variety of places - Private and Shared.  Once restored they all apeered in the online shared sections and i've been 'add'ing them back to my dropbox. 

In hindsight im still not sure what happened. My PC did have a virus - so maybe it was this. 

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, letting me know you managed to recover them!

Let me know if you need any further assistance in future. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?