cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All the Downloaded video won’t play

All the Downloaded video won’t play

Explorer | Level 3

I have downloaded some old videos into my iPhone photo gallery, part of the video will play but not all of it? When I view the same video in Dropbox first off it’s been shortened when downloaded on the iPhone it plays the the shortened version and the rest of the video freezes.

15 Replies 15

Re: All the Downloaded video won’t play

Dropboxer

Hi @Miniakram8, thanks for posting!

Just to clarify, even when previewing the file in Dropbox, the playback is shortened and doesn't appear correctly?

Are you previewing the file in the Dropbox mobile app, or through the website?

Also, how are you downloading the file from Dropbox?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne
I am watching the video in the drop box app, it’s only playing a part of the video, then when the video is downloaded onto the iPhone through the app into the gallery the whole length video is there but only part of it plays the same part thats playing in the Dropbox app would it work better if I went on to website? I hope that makes sense.

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming @Miniakram8!

Could you check through your web browser to see if the file looks any different there?

Have you previously viewed/downloaded the video where it appeared normally? 

Also, what is the file type of the video? Eg. .mp4 or .mov.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
It’s showing as a mp4 format, the only time these videos played properly were before they were uploaded to Dropbox I am not sure where the original videos are. An example if a clip is 2 minutes long it will play for about 20-30 seconds then stops, when downloaded on to my phone the 2 minute clip is all there but after playing 20-30 seconds has finished playing the rest of the clip nothing happens the image is showing but not moving.

Dropboxer

Are you able to view this file on our website at all @Miniakram8?

Also, in the mobile app, can you try offlining it or even exporting it to another app to see if it helps improves matters at all?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Walter I can see part of the video if it’s a 2 minute long video, it won’t play the full 2 minutes, have tried watching through the browser and the app it’s the same, on downloading the clip the full clip is there but it will only play the same as the app and browser, the clip scrolls along but the video is not playing, it’s hard to describe, I can happily send the link to you or send the video in an email to show you what I mean.

Dropboxer

From what you mentioned, it sounds like there may have been an issue with the file during the upload. 

Just to cover all bases, do you have any other apps that you can try view the video in?

Otherwise, can you try downloading the file on another device and see how it views there?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
Tried downloading it to imovie still doing the same, I can understand there being a problem with one video but not all of them.

Dropboxer

In this case, the best option here would be to see if we can try re-uploading the original file.

Can you check the file version history of the file to see where the file was originally uploaded from, or if there is a previous version you can try restoring?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?