cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Although I can open .doc & .pdf files I cannot open .xls files in Libre Office calc?

Highlighted

Although I can open .doc & .pdf files I cannot open .xls files in Libre Office calc?

Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox for many years without problems. After recently deleting photos in Onedrive I now find I cant open .xls files.

I can open .doc & .pdf files. I use Libre Office calc to open files.

The error message says" Does not have app associated with it    ....... install an App or create an association ....."

Can you help please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Although I can open .doc & .pdf files I cannot open .xls files in Libre Office calc?

Super User II
Super User II

@johnblakemore wrote:

The error message says" Does not have app associated with it    ....... install an App or create an association ....."

That's not a Dropbox error message. It's from your operating system, and it's telling you that it doesn't know how to handle the file type that you're trying to open. As it states, you either need to install an application that supports the file type in question, or fix the file association so your operatin system knows which application to use when you open the file.

If you're on Windows, right-click the file, choose Open With and select the proper application. If it's not listed, you may need to find it manually or reinstall it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Although I can open .doc & .pdf files I cannot open .xls files in Libre Office calc?

Super User II
Super User II

@johnblakemore wrote:

That's not a Dropbox error message. It's from your operating system, and it's telling you that it doesn't know how to handle the file type that you're trying to open. As it states, you either need to install an application that supports the file type in question, or fix the file association so your operatin system knows which application to use when you open the file.

If you're on Windows, right-click the file, choose Open With and select the proper application. If it's not listed, you may need to find it manually or reinstall it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

All ok thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @johnblakemore, I hope you're well today!

Could you try right clicking the file you're trying to open and see if you can choose the Libre Office app from the "Open with" menu?

If not, can you send along a screenshot of the error message that you're getting?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?