Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

An upladed file is way smaller when downloaded

Explorer | Level 4

I have uploaded a file to share. Using the share link I downloaded the file. The file is about 1/100 the original size.

Can someone explain this? or point me to a fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: An upladed file is way smaller when downloaded

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @greatdaydan, you should be able to include a screengrab in your next message, clicking on either of the buttons showing the Camera Icon 📷, as shown on the screenshot below: 

Spoiler
Attach image.png
Following, I’m wondering whether you’re forcing the link to download using the dl=1 parameter in your query; please let me know in your next message if possible. Also, out of curiosity, have you by any chance changed any of the code on the initial file? 

Any other detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & thanks in advance for the time you devote to gather this info for me! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @greatdaydan, I’m wondering if that’s been edited by a third-party app along the way incidentally. Just so as to determine the best course of action moving forward, would you mind letting me know whether you’re uploading these files using our Website, your mobile device or you’ve synced them using the Dropbox desktop application

Have you tried checking whether the file extensions match by any chance? If you’ve already done this troubleshooting on your end, I’d appreciate two side-by-side screenshots (omitting personal info) showing me the different sizes; please include these in your next message if possible. 

Thanks for taking the time to gather a bit more info for me; I'll be awaiting your next update, so as to further advise!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This is an app I wrote. It will download a LARGE application I hat I created. I have not used it in quite a while. Originally compiled with Delphi 7 and now with Delphi 10.3.

Back then it worked properly. Now, it doesn't.

I think the culprit is the TCPIP component I used. TIdHTTP (Indy components). I did a direct download with the shared link and got the whole file. I am now looking for a replacement component.

How do I include/attach picts?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @greatdaydan, you should be able to include a screengrab in your next message, clicking on either of the buttons showing the Camera Icon 📷, as shown on the screenshot below: 

Spoiler
Attach image.png
Following, I’m wondering whether you’re forcing the link to download using the dl=1 parameter in your query; please let me know in your next message if possible. Also, out of curiosity, have you by any chance changed any of the code on the initial file? 

Any other detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & thanks in advance for the time you devote to gather this info for me! 

Jane

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I finally figured it out.

The shared link is for a web page.  I need to get the actual file.

Do I need to send my credentials and then d.l the file?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @greatdaydan, it seems that we’re getting closer! Yes, it would be better if you uploaded the file itself Dan. 

Do I need to send my credentials and then d.l the file?

If it’s merely a shared link, then you don't need to sign in to your account if you’d like to download it. Please let me know how you get on with that whenever you get a chance! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Changing dl parm to 1 fixed my problem.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
🤹‍♀️ Fantastic @greatdaydan, happy Dropboxing! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?