cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Android Dropbox sync

Android Dropbox sync

Llerraff
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have installed Dropbox on 2 Android tablets. Both can access shared folders. However, when I try and sync either of them I am asked if I want to set up Dropbox on a computer. When I press the SKIP link I am returned to the shared folders, no sync takes place. So basically I cannot sync. Help please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Llerraff
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I appear to have solved the issue.

This is relevant to shared person's Android tablets.

When sharing a folder, the owner can email the shared persons.

The email contains a link to the shared folder and the shared person can open and view the folder ONLY, by following the link.

At the same time as the email is sent a notification is created in the receivers Dropbox. By clicking on the notification, the receiver is allowed to add the shared folder to their own Dropbox. Having done so all changes are synced automatically.

Hope this helps you in future.

Les

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Llerraff, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Syncing generally happens automatically when the desktop app is connected to the internet and running, while the mobile app doesn't need to sync, as it reflects the contents of the website. 

Having said that, could you clarify what exactly you're trying to achieve? Are you not seeing the contents of the shared folders on the website? Are you trying to download them on your computer? 

Any additional information would be very helpful. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Llerraff
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Lusil,
I have my own Dropbox basic account on an IPad. A colleague has given me Edit access to two of his Dropbox folders. He has Dropbox Plus. 
I can view, edit and sync his two folders to my IPad.
I have another 2 Android tablets that have Dropbox Basic installed on them.
I have granted view access for the shared folders on my colleagues’ Dropbox account for users of the other 2 Tablets.
From the Other tablets I can view the 2 shared folders.
I can see the Sync symbol.
When I click Sync, I am taken to another page that asks if I want to set up Dropbox on a Computer, by following that link, it attempts to set up Dropbox on another device!
If I Choose the “SKIP” Option, I am returned to the folder I was trying to Sync. No sync has taken place.

The Dropbox installation of the other 2 tablets resulted from following the link from the folders that I shared with them..
Llerraff

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Llerraff , thanks for nudging me back. 

Since Basic (free) accounts can link up to three devices, and you have one iOS and two Android mobiles already with the mobile app installed, you won't be able to sign in on a fourth device. 

In any case, and as mentioned earlier, if you have access to the shared folders directly via the mobile app, they should already be synced without needing to click on a button. 

For this reason, could you send me a screenshot of the option that you do see, which redirects you to connect a computer?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Llerraff
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

if I could work out how to attach a screen shot to this reply, I would!

However, all I am trying to do is sync or download from another persons shared Dropbox folder to my Android tablets.

I do have Dropbox personal installed on the tablets. 
I am beginning to believe that the Android version 194.2.6 may be built for an Android phone and is not able to sync or download, hence the software asks me to set up Dropbox on a computer when I try to sync. 
No sync takes place, there is a sync button, for syncing to a computer.

help!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Since you're having trouble adding the screenshot itself, could you send me a shared link of the image? 

Also, could you clarify if the content you're trying to download was sent to you via a shared folder or a shared link? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Llerraff
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

i am trying to sync or download a shared folder belonging to someone else to my Android tablets. Android 194.2.6.

There is nothing wrong with the shared folder as I can view it on my Android tablets, just cannot sync or download from it.

on my IPad tablet I can view, sync and download.

so the problem appears to be using an Android tablet.

Unless you have an Android tablet you will not be able to see what the problem is.
Les

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you referring to a function similar to that of an iOS's Files app, which allows you to preview the content without navigating through your Dropbox mobile app directly?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Llerraff
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

Look, it is simple.

i have an Android tablet with Dropbox installed.

An associate has a Dropbox plus account with folders that he has SHARED to me, view only.

he has sent me the link to access his shared folders. I can see the shared folders and the files within those folders. However, no syncing takes place and there is no means of downloading the files.  There is a button that asks if I want to sync to a computer.

So my question is, is this Android version of Dropbox, 194.2.6, capable of syncing shared folders to a tablet?

With my IPad I can sync the SHARED folders on my associates Dropbox account.

Please read my response carefully along with my other responses. 
Thanks, Les

ps, perhaps you could explain how I can add a screen dump to my responses.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Llerraff, just jumping in here!

I think we need to clarify the exact steps you're taking on your iOS device so "sync" the files and folders, as Lusil mentioned before that the mobile apps are not capable of syncing in the way that the desktop app would.

I believe that Lusil asked previously if you're using the Files app on your iOS device as you can indeed add your Dropbox account as a location there and so you can edit the Dropbox files through the Files app and this will update the files in your Dropbox account.

Due to this, the same action isn't possible with Android devices as there isn't an app similar to the way that the Files app works on iOS (as far as I know).

It would indeed be great if you could send us a few screenshots here just to clear this up for us so we're all on the same page here. Since you're having trouble doing this through the Community, can you send us a shared link for your screenshots?

You can check out the exact steps on how to make a shared link from here.

Thank you so much for your patience while we look into this together!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?