cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Brian G.37
New member | Level 1

***UPDATE: **Here is the NON answer I received from Gisèle about this issue today:  "_I understand your issue about the email address belonging to the CEO. This is why a pro Dropbox account shared between individuals is not ideal as Dropbox was designed to be personal. We have another product, Dropbox for Business where you have different licenses and can have many "admins" with permissions to get information about other accounts within the Dropbox team.**_

This being said, I'd just like to inform you that unfortunately we do not support Windows 2003 as explained here: https://www.dropbox.com/fr/help/3 😞

This also explains why Dropbox is running seamlessly on Windows 7 and not on your servers.

I'd recommend making sure you have SP3 installed. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8

*I'm very sorry about this issue but unfortunately, we cannot provide further support as you do not meet our requirements to run Dropbox." *I give up! I give up! I give up! Dropbox "support" has beaten me into submission with their level of incompetence. Good luck to everyone else still hoping for a solution to this issue. I have no more time to waste here.

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

I have to say.  Wow.   Now that was a really irresponsible statement from DropBox support.

Instead of helping customers, they just ignore our concerns.   

So I guess my company plus the several hundred clients plus other customers that my company supports and has recommended DropBox to will just have to DROP THE BOX.

Just wow.   Windows Server 2003 was not officially supported at anytime that I know of but IT DID WORK.  Servers are sometimes not easily replaced when they run applications that are necessary to a company even if the operating system may be sunsetted by the vendor.   I would say there are a lot of 32 bit Windows Servers 2003 machines out there.   And we ourselves have newer server systems we use also alongside the older ones.   That is the beauty of virtual machines.  Migration sometimes is not allowed based on application requirements so we maintain the older ones until they can be properly replaced.

Please pass this on to DropBox SALES.   I doubt they would give away customers this easily.

Laureline
Community Manager

Hi everyone!

I talked today with Andrea and Gisèle about this issue.

Andrea did her best to help you, but I'm sorry: unfortunately, Windows Server 2003 is not supported by Dropbox.

Have a great day, and again, sorry for the confusion.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

I had the same the same response from support 😞

Needless to say (echoing the words of Dropbox themselves), "I officially no longer support Dropbox"!

However, unofficially we will have to keep using it but only until a suitable replacement can be found (so I guess Dropbox are getting there way at least for a little longer). Perhaps there isn't an alternative for Windows Server 2003 but I'll post back here if I find one. It would be good if other contributors could do the same...

Happy days...

Laureline
Community Manager

Hey Crombie!

Thanks for your feedback and for being active on the forum!

On my side, I've passed along your request to our Product team.

However, I'm sorry but we never supported Dropbox on Windows Server 2003.

If it worked at some point, it's not something that was the normal behaviour (you got lucky!)

We couldn't (and cannot) guaranty that it worked.

Have a nice day too!

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Have done several things and our Dropbox on both Windows 2003 Servers are now syncing without stopping.  Please excuse me if I mistype any of the folder placements or file names.

1.  With File Explorer, set both the Dropbox.exe and DropboxUpdate.exe to Compatibility - XP on Properties.

For Dropbox.exe - /Document and Settings/Administrator/Application Data/Dropbox/bin

For DropboxUpdate.exe - /Document and Settings/Administrator/Local Settings/Application Data/Dropbox/Update

1.  Disabled the two Scheduled Tasks that we think were added with the 3.6.8 version.   Go into Scheduled Task on Control Panel.  Uncheck the Enable Task checkbox at bottom left of task screen.  You have to right click on the task selection to choose Properties.

This seems to stop the auto update processing.

Currently these ran without problem overnight and have been syncing files this morning.

1.  We found also that it is not Dropbox itself that does not support Windows Server operating systems but actually is because QT ( the GUI development system they use for their programming ) does not support Windows Server.   Because QT does not support those, therefore Dropbox or anyone else using QT for development would not be able to officially support those.

On that same line about QT, on the QT forums we found that if programs run under Compatibility Mode and are set to XP, Windows 7, etc that are supported, then more than likely they will run without problem.

Hope that helps someone understand the problem better and how we might be able to circumvent the problems we are seeing.  

We found also that we could run the DropboxUpdate.exe manually.

Our particular use case was not for backup purposes but being able to sync files from a very old dbf database program that one of our customers had and cannot replace at this time.   We copy the files to the Dropbox folder on one of their desktop machines which syncs to Dropbox web where we sync back down to one the Windows 2003 servers that has Dropbox folder where we watch for the changed files then copy files to another folder that we can odbc connect for web access for the iPhone applications we built.   The dbf files cannot be accessed directly because of a limitation of their accounting program.   You might say we had to get creative.

Anyway, in the big picture, thank you Dropbox for having a program that we could recommend to our client that allows them to perform the work they need to do.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Great stuff BillB. Very comprehensive and much more constructive than  anything Dropbox support have offered. I understand that they have to adopt an official position but some leeway would have been nice. Thank heavens for the kindness and knowledge sharing of strangers on support forums.

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Oh, and one more thing.

Make sure you reboot the server after turning off the Scheduled Tasks.    One of the machines still kept bringing up the Update screen until we rebooted.  Something must be left hanging in memory.

We are now at almost 24 hours running without a problem.   Version is 3.6.8.

data e.
New member | Level 1

Hello everybody,

I had the same problem like you with three servers Windows 2003 even with an client installed on W7 enterprise x64.I uninstalled and cleaned everything related to dropbox including registry.

3.6.8 or 3.6.9 offline installer could not be installed after uninstall 3.6.7 (version with issue)

Installed 3.0.2 this morning,after 2 hours update himself to 3.6.9  with no errors or else and just did what Bill B. said.

Dropbox.exe and DropboxUpdate.exe set to run in compatibility mode XP and disable two dropoxupdate task in windows scheduler.Waiting to see if this working.

data e.
New member | Level 1

did not restart server yet

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?