cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Re: Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

One of our servers is now reporting "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update"; so we're now stuck! No doubt the other one will do the same shortly.

This is a service we pay for and we are not getting credible support. I'm still waiting on a response from support but not confident of a resolution.

Please, please, support, if you ever read these posts then could we have some action?

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Just FYI a transcript of a chat session just now with a Dropbox for Business sales rep:

########

Dropboxer: Hello, thanks for visiting! Do you have any questions about Dropbox for Business I could help with?

Me: Well......I'm looking for support on an issue we are having with Dropbox telling us "dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" - other users are having the same problem ( https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203317519-Another-Dropbox-has-stopped-syncing-...) and support don't seem to care. I've contacted support via the on-line form but am yet to receive a response. Even though we pay for the service I'm considering upgrading to Business just so that we can get some support on this issue! Can you be of any assistance?

Dropboxer: Hi there, this isDropboxer from Dropbox for Business! How can I help?

Can I start with your name and e-mail address?

Me: XX (our pro account is under xx@yy.zz)...

Dropboxer: Hi XX! Are you a Dropbox for Business customer?

Ah sorry I see

thanks for reaching out

When did you fill in the form?

Me: Obviously from my earlier response; no....

Dropboxer: Ok

Me: Filled out the form on Tuesday...

Dropboxer: The form will be answered soon, but as I am on the sales team, I cannot really say when

Me: So, we're left with a vital server - server Dropbox sync that's not working and we can't get support! So, if we sign up for Business, will we get some proper support on this issue?

Dropboxer: No you won't, that's kind of abusing our system and we don't recommend that\

Just wait for support to get back to you, I will send them a message as well

Sorry for the inconvenience

Thank you for contacting us.

Chat session disconnected.

##########

Priceless!

Brian G.37
New member | Level 1

Wow...I don't even know what to say. I wish this surprised me, but given that I'm having the same issue and no real solution or response from "support", it doesn't. BTW, after I sent my reply email yesterday to "support", I haven't heard a thing back. We also thought of "upgrading" our account as well, but it appears that would be a waste of time and money. We are in the process or looking for other providers. Good luck to you Crombie D.

Bill L.3
New member | Level 1

Got the same message using XP Pro with SP2. When it finally stopped working, it said to be sure Service Pack 3 is installed on XP. I avoided SP3 because it is not compatible with some of the software I use every day. That software will not install on W7. Apparently, you need SP3 in order for Dropbox to update on XP. XP is essentially 2000, so 2003 may be very similar, hence the same problem some of you are having. I have another computer with Windows 7 Pro 32 SP1 and a ThinkPad with W7 Pro 64 SP1 and Dropbox works fine with them. Only solution for me is to transfer files back and forth between XP and W7 to access my Dropbox account. I disabled Dropbox in MS Config on the XP system so it doesn't generate any error messages. An annoyance, but it works.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Hi All

Had a response from support!:

#####################

-

Hi Crombie,

Thank you for getting back in touch!

It is possible to run Dropbox on a computer running a server OS. However, because Dropbox runs as a user process rather than as a service, the user account has to remain logged in for Dropbox to sync properly.

If you can't stay logged in, you'll need to install Dropbox as a service. Here's one application that can help do this:

http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/

However, these methods are not supported by Dropbox, and we cannot provide technical support for them. If you have any trouble, you may want to check out how other users have done this from our forums:

http://www.dropboxforum.com

Additionally, keep in mind that while Dropbox can run on a server OS, we do not recommend locally sharing the Dropbox folder, or any folders inside of the Dropbox folder, over your local network or using it for other server-specific functions due to the way the Dropbox application works with this Dropbox folder.

Sharing a Dropbox folder over the network to allow multiple users to share or collaborate on the same folder paths or files could cause permissions and syncing errors that we cannot support. Therefore, we recommend only one user account accessing a Dropbox folder on the same drive as the user account or a physically connected drive.

In the case of an initial migration from a server to Dropbox, you can perform the initial transfer of the files by installing Dropbox on the server and moving the files into the Dropbox folder. Once the upload of the files to Dropbox has been completed, you could unlink this server so the application is no longer syncing with this Dropbox folder. Then continue working on any content locally. Other users will be able to access the uploaded content by installing Dropbox locally in their computers.

If you are interested in learning more about how to migrate the content of a server to Dropbox and get suggestions to improve the efficacy of the process, please visit the following guide created for that purpose:

https://www.dropbox.com/guide/admin/set-up/server-migration

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about any of information or recommendations above.

Regards,
Noah

##############

All pretty much party-line stuff. Nothing relating to a fix for the particular issue at this point. I've gone back to them explaining that we have run Dropbox on our servers for years with no problems until recently. I've suggested that something must have changed in Dropbox and we need a fix, patch or workaround. Will post back if/when I get another response.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

For BrianG (help please)

I've followed the instructions to install Dropbox on a separate PC (Win XP SP3) and the small "hack" to allow sync of a network drive. On the initial install of Dropbox I chose just one folder to sync (selective sync) to make sure things worked on this before trying to sync the whole of our folder structure. On restarting Dropbox the one folder synced fine but when I then chose another folder to sync (Advanced > Selective Sync), Dropbox created a brand new folder called <Folder Name> (Selective Sync Conflict). This folder is an exact copy of the original so I'm not sure why the conflicted version was created. I'm loathed to sync any more folders in case the same thing happens. Any suggestions on how to avoid the conflicted versions being created?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

As of July 19, our two Windows Server 2003 machines with DropBox version 3.0.5 ( we think not sure anymore ) had been running without problems until Sunday afternoon.   Then both stopped syncing because the message said that they cannot update.

We completely uninstalled and reinstalled.   Synced correctly again but evidently downloads a new update into the \bin area dated June 26, 2015 version 3.6.8.0.  and then says it cannot Update and then we have to cancel the program.

So sync still works.   But it is the update process that is killing us.   We need someway to disable the autoupdate process.   I really could care less about a new update if my sync works.

Anybody had any luck with this problem.

Brian G.37
New member | Level 1

It's been like banging your head against a brick wall dealing with this issue. I never did get any type of answer from support. The "answer" I received this morning (7 days after opening the ticket) from Olivia at DB support was "Beyond the troubleshooting steps I have given you, I can provide no further support until I receive a reply from the email address in question. I cannot view the particulars of the account in order to provide additional support without the account information, which can only be accessed with authorization. This authorization comes from writing in from the account in question."  What? I honestly have no idea why that even matters, the account belongs to the CEO of the company! I am the system admin and handle these types of issues on his behalf! Why get him involved at all? I digress... Just for the record, I currently have DB running on Win7 Pro machine with the same account that quit syncing because it couldn't update on the server (that tells me it isn't an account issue.). DB had been running on that same server for two years without any issue at all! Then DB updates to a newer version and quits working a couple weeks later. That to me seems to be a development issue or a bug that needs to be addressed (maybe it's by design, no one seems to know). I have explained all of this in an email response to Olivia last week, the exact same thing that I opened this post with, just more detail. Its as if they never even looked at the original issue and are just reading from a pre-defined response. At this point, it appears to be hopeless that a solution will be presented from DB to correct his. I have it running currently, and at this point that is the best that can be expected until we decide on another provider.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

For BrianG:

If you go here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com/access/unauthenticated

You can log into the support system and see your ticket and respond to it directly there; you don't have to use email so that should get around the problem you are having with support refusing further help because you don't have the right email address (a silly delaying tactic anyway IMHO). Just click the "Have you emailed us? Get a password" link and you will be able to sign in with your normal Dropbox email address and the password you set.

However, even if you get in this way don't expect any immediate help; I posted on there yesterday and today but am yet to get a response. I'm going to post again now and mention BillB's issues; hopefully the more they see people having the same problem the more likely they are to do something about it.

FYI at the moment I'm in the process of transferring the Dropbox client to two PCs and liking them to the network shares on the servers using the "hack" already pointed out by BrianG earlier in this thread. This has worked fine on one Windows XP SP3 machine. Now for a Windows 7...

Mark
Super User II

Crombie - you still need to log on to the account with the correct email. If people need centralised support / viewing of data then use a Business Account rather than free ones or Pro accounts designed for single home users. Business accounts give all the centralised support etc. As irritating as it is I can totally agree that they wont release data on an account they've no idea you are linked with - after all, you really could be anybody. 

In terms of the issue, a long shot, but would installing  Release Candidate 3.8.4 work?

Note I dont work for Dropbox so have no idea if it would or not

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JOE K.17 Not applicable
    Bill B.17 New member | Level 1
    Kevin O.17 New member | Level 1
    Erwin V.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?