cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Re: Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about those issues 😞

Just for a bit of context here, since 3.6.x we've introduced DropboxUpdate.exe that takes care of updating Dropbox as its name might suggest it 😉

• that would explain why going from 3.6.7 to 3.6.9 doesn't change anything, but going back to 3.0.5 does -

As you know, this process requires access to the internet to work + access to your computer ressources.

To understand your issues, we'll need more detailed information that can't be shared on this forum, so I'll have a member of the team contact you directly via email

In the meantime, could you manually restart DropboxUpdate.exe please?

1. Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
  2. Type %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Dropbox\Update into the address bar 
  3. If you get an error that says “Windows cannot find...” please try typing %ProgramFiles%\Dropbox\Update into the address bar instead .
  4. If the folder comes up, you should see an option for “DropboxUpdate.exe” (the ".exe" extension may not be visible).
  5. Double-click on the “DropboxUpdate.exe” application in this folder. This should force the Dropbox installer to run and check for the latest version of the application.
  6. If you do not see “DropboxUpdate.exe”, please navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/install and select to download the “offline installer” under the large “Free Download” box.
  7. Run the installation file to re-install the Dropbox application.

(This should prompt the application to update to the latest version available)

ps1: We only support Dropbox when installed as a user process. If you've installed Dropbox as a service we won't be able to help you 😞

ps2: We do not support Network File System hence we do not support NAS

ps3: for privacy and security reasons, we can only provide support to the account holder. Imagine this, someone writes in from bobby@scam.com and tells us he's batman@goodguy.com, you wouldn't want us to give him any information, would you?

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the feedback MarkMc. I was presuming from what BrianG said that he had the correct email address but just couldn't actually send an email from that address. If this is the case then using the ticket system would allow him to talk directly to support...

I'm really not a fan of installing release candidates on production servers; who knows what havoc they may cause. I would rather have a proper patch/fix provided by Dropbox (I'm probably being naive to expect this though).

As of now I have moved the Dropbox client off both servers onto separate PCs and implemented the "hack" to enable Dropbox to sync to the network shares on the servers. I know that this is unsupported but at the moment it's the only option I have until I can find an alternative application that actually works the way that Dropbox has worked for us over the last few years.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Many thanks for chipping in Andrea! 🙂

I don't know about the other guys but I have already done this on both servers and the DropboxUpdate.exe keeps getting stuck (hence I guess why Dropbox says it can't update).

Sometimes there are multiple process entries for DropboxUpdate.exe; presumably from the task scheduler from where DropboxUpdate.exe is has started multiple times but failed to run/complete.

From what BrianG says he has tried installing the latest versions but this hasn't helped; as I have the same environment as him I have not wasted my time with this step. But I will leave BrianG to confirm.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Hi All

FYI Another support technician has contacted me. I will post back here if anything new drops out of this...

Brian G.37
New member | Level 1

Same here. Explaining the issue (again). Will post any updates as I get them.

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Happy to hear you've received the emails from my colleague 🙂

Have you tried restarting DropboxUpdate?

Brian G.37
New member | Level 1

To Andrea ---

Firstly, I replied to an email from Gisèle this morning with the linked DB account. We'll see where this goes. Secondly, manually running the DropboxUpdate.exe was one of the first things that was done when this issue started. After manually running the updater, DB still would not update. Tried the uninstall/reinstall path (see my previous post). This produced the same error as before uninstall/reinstall step. None of the "suggested solutions" correct this issue. All we really want to know is why the DropboxUpdate.exe stopped working and pretty much disabled Dropbox. That seems like a really simple question that should have a really simple answer. Has anyone at the Helpdesk spoken to anyone on the development team for an explanation?  Am I to assume that right now the only option that we have to get DB to run on the server again is to go back to a version prior to 3.6.x before the auto-update was added?

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

@Bill: On XP, we require you installed SP3 for Dropbox to work.

It won't work with SP2 and this is why you're having this issue.

Hope this helps 🙂

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Not on XP.  On Windows Server 2003 R2.  On two separate machines that were working fine.  Absolutely no prior problems.

I think I might have found what the possible Update problem is.

If you try to delete out the DropBox folder in Documents and Settings where DropBox is installed, you cannot unless you reboot the machine and not bring up DropBox.   The culprit is the OldBinaries folder which contains multiple folders of the same file - DropBoxExt.25.dll. ( Cannot delete DropBoxExt.25:  Access is denied ).   No me that means the file is still in use by something on the system.   

Now I have tried this multiple times.    Definitely after quitting DropBox.   So this may be why DropBox cannot update its newer files.   If the old one cannot be properly replaced with the installer.

Just guessing but since we build our own program installers and have had this exact problem before, it may be a good starting spot for the dev team.

Interesting also is that DropBox on new installs of the older versions, syncs our files properly before bringing up the Update stop screen.   Which means network communication to DropBox is  intact and working.   Just makes you quit the program after the Update Problem screen comes up.   In the future, DropBox really needs to rethink this forced update scenario.   Since syncing still works with older programs,  forced update which causes problems on older systems which cannot be simply replaced is a real concern.

I know I am actively looking for an alternative this very minute.

And that is too bad.   We have loved the excellent work that DropBox has done.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Nice one Bill B. Sound's like you are on the right track. Now let's hope that the devs agree and can get to the bottom of this.

As you say, Dropbox has worked great for us until now but we can't continue with it if this problem isn't resolved soon and we too are actively looking for alternatives...

FYI Andrea after having an initial email from your technician earlier this afternoon and responding to that (both via email and on the ticket system) I'm yet to receive a response.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JOE K.17 Not applicable
    Bill B.17 New member | Level 1
    Kevin O.17 New member | Level 1
    Erwin V.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?