cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Re: Another "Dropbox has stopped syncing because it can't update" post...

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Crombie, Brian, and Data E.,

Now on Day 2 still syncing and no update screen.  Windows Server 2003 R2.  Dropbox version 3.6.8.

One more thing we found on the installers.

Our original installer ( 3.0.5 we think ) did not require any changes after downloading.   But when we downloaded the newer installs the other day, you have to right-click on the installer exe, go to General tab, and click on the Unblock button at the bottom right of the screen.   The Security paragraph states that the file came from another computer and might be blocked to protect this computer.   Click to Unblock and you can run the installer.   Otherwise, it just sits there with no action with you click on the exe.   Took us a while to check this out.   We were scratching our heads until we started looking around at the properties.

Yippee.  We still be syncing.

Crombie D.
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the update BillB; much appreciated.

I must confess I'm wimping out and holding off doing any of the steps you have suggested on our servers just yet. I spent a couple of days getting things working again on a two PCs (thanks to BrianG) and so far so good. I'm sure I will take the plunge in due course though 🙂

data e.
New member | Level 1

Not working for me.Over weekend "dropbox will stop syncing soon" reappear.

3.6.9 version on server 2003

dropbox update scheduled task disabled-both

compatibility mode set to XP.

Still waiting a fix from dropbox support

Laureline
Community Manager

Hi again!

I'm sorry, but again, Dropbox support won't be able to help you with your problem.

Dropbox has never been supported on servers, and I'm afraid no one from Dropbox will be able to help you with this issue.

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Data E.,  

Please do not expect any changes from DropBox.  It is not possible for them to support the app on servers.   Please read my above comments on the QT development environment.   Laureline is correct.    We have been just lucky to have it work on the Windows servers at all.

But to update everyone on our situation here.   It is now almost a week later and we are still syncing without problems.   

If the Update screen is still popping up, that means the Updater application is still running in the background.    Check the application processes in the Task Manager and end those processes.   Also make sure that the Scheduled Tasks are definitely not running.

Erwin V.1
New member | Level 1

Dear Bill B.

I want to thank you for all the time you spent resolving the problem with Windows Server 2003. Great!!! Thanks a lot, it saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Best regards

Erwin

Kevin O.17
New member | Level 1

I'm getting the same with the latest version of Dropbox (3.8.8) on a window 8.1 PC - https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203294899-Dropbox-will-stop-syncing-soon-becau...

Kevin O.17
New member | Level 1

Bill B.17
New member | Level 1

Thanks Kevin O.

Possibly another problem that can be bypassed so that we can continue using DropBox with older systems.

On our Windows Server 2003 boxes, we have now been running since July with no problems.  It is now September so we may have solved the Updater problem.   Crossing my fingers.

Bill B.

JOE K.17
Not applicable

Since there are some 2003 R2 users in this thread, I thought that I'd post the results of the inquiry that I made with support as to whether XP's demise later this month will affect 2003 R2, too.

First, what DB has said about XP is that as of June 26, 2016, signing in to an existing account or creating a new account will no longer be possible on Windows XP. On August 29, 2016, the Dropbox desktop app will no longer support Windows XP. On this date, you will be automatically signed out of any Dropbox accounts linked to a Windows XP computer.

Which is kind of weird, since is it really plausible that someone is going to sign in on June 25th and then never log out for two months?

Anyway, support told me about 2003 R2: "After consulting some members of my team, we have come to the conclusion that XP and 2003 will be discontinued."

That seems pretty definitive that 2003 R2 is somehow being lumped in with XP and will be treated the same, but it leaves room for ambiguity, and we all know too well from support experiences how you can get a different story each time.

FWIW, Richard P. had said on this forum back in late April that "Regarding Windows Server 2003R2 - as far as we currently know, its unaffected, and I will post more once that clarification has been made to us," but I haven't seen that post yet.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JOE K.17 Not applicable
    Bill B.17 New member | Level 1
    Kevin O.17 New member | Level 1
    Erwin V.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?