cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps folder is not syncing

Apps folder is not syncing

Helpful | Level 5

I am using a program on my 3D printer controller called OctoPrint TimeLapse. Basically any timelaps created on my Raspberry Pi that is running the printer is automatically uploaded to this folder.

I can see and access this folder on the mobile app and through the web interface. But on all my windows 10 computers the C:confused face:Users\...\Dropbox\Apps folder is empty. There is no "OctoPrint Timelapse" folder on my hard drive. If I go to the Dropbox preferences > Sync > Selective Sync: the Apps\OctoPrint Timelapse folder is selected to be synced. It is annoying to have to access the web interface to download the timelapse files when all my other files sync automatically.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apps folder is not syncing

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Jane, for your quick responce.

Most of these items I had already checked, as this has been happening for over a month, but the Bad Files Check seems to have pointed out the problem.

I will check with the Apps program about the directory folder name, as to not break the link with the app that sends the files.

Thanks you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Dropboxer
Hey there (@JKato), I’m wondering if you’re facing a syncing issue that doesn’t only affect this particular folder, therefore it’s a symptom of an underlying  condition. 

Assuming that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your pc (61.4.95), you’ve made all OS updates & you’re not using Symlinks, it’s also advisable to make sure Dropbox is syncing correctly on your menu bar, as below: 

system-tray.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status(eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). What does the message there read for you?  

If all the settings above are applied correctly & Dropbox is syncing without any issues,then the discrepancy you’re seeing could be related to the filenames, as one or more of your files may contain an incompatible character in their name or path. Certain characters can be used on some operating systems, but not others.

Your files are on the Dropbox website, they just can't be sent to a computer that can't handle those characters. You can use Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage to determine which files are not syncing due to incompatibilities & in most cases you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file and omitting the illegal characters. (Extra tip: Here’s a list of known incompatibilities and illegal characters)

If this persists (or you didn’t locate any incompatible characters on our tool), then unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop would be a great starting point, as it recreates the local database

If that persists, please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll make sure to investigate what’s happening in more depth. I’ll be awaiting your next update here & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Jane, for your quick responce.

Most of these items I had already checked, as this has been happening for over a month, but the Bad Files Check seems to have pointed out the problem.

I will check with the Apps program about the directory folder name, as to not break the link with the app that sends the files.

Thanks you.

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Ah, glad to hear that my pointers have indicated what could be the root cause for the syncing issue you’ve experienced @JKato. Please do let me know how you get on with these steps or in case you need further assistance in any way & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Take care in the meantime & enjoy the rest of your Tuesday! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5
Yes. Renaming the folder solved this problem. All is good now. Thank you.

Dropboxer
Perfect @JKato, it’s been a pleasure working on that with you & thanks a lot for updating the thread with the progress!

We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. I'm wishing you a lovely weekend ahead! 

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

i am having a very similar issue, but my 3D printer does not seem to be uploading the timelapse videos to my drop box.  i am following the instructions here:

https:confused face:/plugins.octoprint.org/plugins/dropbox_timelapse/

What could be the issue that my printer/raspberry pi is not uploading the files to my dropbox?

Helpful | Level 5
It has been a while, but if I recall correctly I somehow accidentally put a space in the directory name. I think it was at the end of the directory name, so it was not visible. Something like "/Printer Timelapse " <-- the space after the e.

I forget if the mistake was in the plugin side or the actual dropbox directory. I think it was on dropbox.

Hope this helps. No guarantee that your problem is the same as mine.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, i think i mistakenly found that was the issue. After i posted the question, i went in teh settings and changed the name of my app and folder to match (with no spaces) and then it started working. This seems to have explained why.

Appreciate your response.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?