cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive **without** synching?!

Archive **without** synching?!

bruce s
Explorer | Level 4
My little iphone is nearly out of room for photos.

I would like to make archival copies of these photos in my dropbox. And then delete some of the photos on my iphone to make room on the iphone (without also deleting the photos that have been uploaded to dropbox, by some unintended automated synching “feature”).

I _don’t_ want the archive photos in my dropbox folders to disappear, when I delete the photos from my iphone.

I fear that automatic “synching” (not desired!) across the iphone and dropbox will eliminate my archive copies.

Is there a setting for dropbox that ensures that my archive copies on dropbox won’t be deleted, unless I delete them myself?

Cheers.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Archive **without** synching?!

Mark
Super User II

Changes wont sync back to your phone, so, if you delete things off your Camera Uploads photo that would sync across the website and other computers AND would show as deleted in the Dropbox app but would not delete from the phones camera roll. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

When you use Camera Upload in Dropbox it uploads the photos but does not delete from the device AND same the other way - when you delete on device it does not delete on Dropbox. 

Syncing deletions like that only work via the website to computers, not mobile devices. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bruce s
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks.

If I do use my pc as well to access dropbox, and delete (or move) photos from dropbox that were uploaded from my phone, will I have to watch out for synching issues?

Mark
Super User II

Changes wont sync back to your phone, so, if you delete things off your Camera Uploads photo that would sync across the website and other computers AND would show as deleted in the Dropbox app but would not delete from the phones camera roll. 

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    bruce s Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?