cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my files being synced?

Highlighted

Are my files being synced?

Helpful | Level 5

I have believed for some time that the Documents,  Pictures and Desktop files on my PC were being automatically synced to Dropbox.  This in my naive way I thought of as computer backup, and  I took their presence under the Dropbox icon on Explorer, and the fact that they changed when I edited them, as confirmation that this was happening.  Now Dropbox tells me I should 'try computer backup' - which I thought I was already getting - and tells me to select the files to sync, and then lo and behold it tells me I can't sync them because the files are either not in the default drive, or in a different drive from Dropbox.  (Neither of which according to Explorer is true).  Yet when I click on the Dropbox icon, or open the app, there all the files are, duly synced and updated.  I am confused.  Are my files being synced to Dropbox up there in the cloud  or not?  Why is Dropbox presenting what I thought was happening all along as if it was something new?  Why does it say my files can't be synced when I believe they clearly are being synced?  I know I am in some respects an idiot, something I have in common with 95% of computer users, so be patient with me - what am I misunderstanding here?

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Are my files being synced?

Helpful | Level 5

Just to clarify: I am aware that Dropbox is designed for syncing and not for backup - e.g. that files that get accidentally deleted on your PC will also be deleted on Dropbox, so they can't be retrieved etc.  My problem is that the way Dropbox describes what it calls 'automatic backup' seems identical to syncing - 'When you turn on computer backup, files on your PC or Mac are continuously backed up to the cloud. Any changes made in synced folders are automatically updated in your Dropbox account and on your hard drive.'  Surely this is what happens already, with all the attendant problems in using this as backup.

Highlighted

Re: Are my files being synced?

Dropboxer

Hey there @John B.234, I hope you're well today!

The computer backup feature to sync your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders is indeed a new feature that's currently in beta.

Before this feature was introduced, the desktop app would be able to sync only the files and folders within the Dropbox folder itself.

Is it possible that you created folders within the local Dropbox folder with similar names like Desktop or Documents? Otherwise, is it possible that you created symlinks for the files within Dropbox to other locations on your computer?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?