cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choose Backup Folder

Highlighted

Are the Photos and/or Videos folders an option for the [beta] computer backup feature?

Helpful | Level 5

The "Computer Backup" feature of Dropbox, which is currently still in beta, during setup, only has options to backup "Desktop", "Documents", and "Downloads".  It doesn't have options for "Picture" and/or "Videos" folders. 

After installation was complete, I attempted to add this manually by going to...

Preferences > Backups > [Manage backup]

...and all options are checked, and there isn't a scroll down ability, but Picture or Videos options are not available.

I would like to naturally back up the Picture * Videos folders as well.  I'm guessing it isn't currently possible or I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Are the Photos and/or Videos folders an option for the [beta] computer backup feature?

Dropboxer

Hi @RogerW37; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

As you noticed, for the time being, there's no way to select other folders apart from your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders when using our new, beta computer backup feature

If you'd like to, you can post this idea on the relevant section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask, Roger, I'll be happy to follow up!

EDIT: We have a request for this feature now here, if you'd like to add your vote!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Are the Photos and/or Videos folders an option for the [beta] computer backup feature?

Dropboxer

Hi @RogerW37; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

As you noticed, for the time being, there's no way to select other folders apart from your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders when using our new, beta computer backup feature

If you'd like to, you can post this idea on the relevant section of our Community so other users can upvote it to show their interest. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask, Roger, I'll be happy to follow up!

EDIT: We have a request for this feature now here, if you'd like to add your vote!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Choose Backup Folder

New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm trying to use the automatic backup feature on a specific folder but I can't choose anything else than Documents, Download or Desktop. Is there any way to choose a specific folder for the backup instead of the suggested ones?

Thanks

Highlighted

Re: Choose Backup Folder

Not applicable

Hello @PB39 

The computer backup feature is currently in BETA testing mode, so I'm pretty sure those folders are the only one's you can use currently. For more information on the topic go to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup. I hope this helps!

Highlighted

Sync specific folder

New member | Level 2

Hey everyone, I am new on using dropbox

My problem is, I am trying to backup a folder from my pc but on dropbox there is only option for backup documents, downloads or desktop

I want to backup and sync specific folder on my hard drive is there any way to backup only this folder ?? 

Thank you

Highlighted

Re: Sync specific folder

Super User II

@amadoAcc wrote:

I want to backup and sync specific folder on my hard drive is there any way to backup only this folder ??

You'll need to move the folder into the Dropbox folder. Aside from the current backup options (Desktop, Documents and Downloads), Dropbox will only sync the content that's located within the Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Just wanted to add a little note @amadoAcc!

While it's not currently possible to backup other folders with the computer backup, you can check out the request thread that Walter linked here.

You can upvote the post to show your support for this feature suggestion.

Cheers!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?