cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the files I save to Dropbox really saved?

Are the files I save to Dropbox really saved?

nydan61
Explorer | Level 3

I am a paid user of Dropbox. I have saved to it a number of mp3 and mp4 files. I'm way under the storage I've paid for. When I click on the name of the file on Dropbox that I saved, I get a pdf which I didn't create, or perhaps I should say a pdf link, and when I click on that I am taken to s3.amazonaws.com, or a similar address, and my file then plays.

My concern is,  are my files securely stored on aws which I'm paying for through Dropbox? If not, then what is going on? Why the pdf?  Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: Are the files I save to Dropbox really saved?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @nydan61, thanks for reaching out. 

When you save files to your Dropbox, they are stored in our servers, so when you open them, they should open directly, if they are previewable on our website or if you have the appropriate program on your computer.

Can you send me a couple of screenshots, showing the steps you're taking to open your files, so that I can have a visual of what you mean?

I would appreciate it very much. Just make sure to hid any personal info.

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nydan61
Explorer | Level 3

Note that I can play the files I save, there's no problem, but I don't understand the process and am inquiring if my files are secure.

90A311F4-9037-427B-A41D-956F576CE4FA.png5392F997-3AB9-42A9-82C7-2EF3282E0A2F (1).jpg

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update here.

It seems these are .pdf files that are saved in your Dropbox account, not actual .mp3 or .mp4 ones.

How are you adding these files to Dropbox? Are you exporting them from another website? Perhaps that's the way this website exports the files.

To address your concern though, any files you add to Dropbox, are safe and secure. 

As long as you don't share them with anyone, they can only be accessed by you.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    nydan61 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?