cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Are the files of an inactive account deleted?

Explorer | Level 3

I logged into my dropbox account after more than a year of letting it sit idle. I didn't realize that could cause problems! When I logged in last week, the subfolders are still there but the files are gone. I did not get an email about an inactive Dropbox account... but I'm wondering if it was deleted anyway. Is there a way to recover the files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Files deleted from inactive account?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @lhemp18

In order to have a better look into this matter, I’d recommend taking this discussion to email. For this reason, I was able to locate your open request from my end and have made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this matter for you. 

When they have more info, they’ll get back to you via email as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there, @lhemp18

As a first step, could you please check your deleted files tab, as well as your events page for more info on what occurred to content in your account?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response! The deleted files tab shows 3 things I deleted on 1/17/2019. The events tab shows the test files I uploaded on 1/26/2019, but nothing beyond that. I think the last time we uploaded to the effected folder was in October 2017.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @lhemp18

In order to have a better look into this matter, I’d recommend taking this discussion to email. For this reason, I was able to locate your open request from my end and have made sure to pass your comments along to the member of my team reviewing this matter for you. 

When they have more info, they’ll get back to you via email as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! Sorry if I confused things.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am just wondering how everything turned out with recovering your data. I hadn’t uploaded anything since Aug 2017. I am hoping that somehow I’ll be able to recover at least some of the pictures of my kiddos and the family. Lots of priceless memories were captured and It’ll stink if I can’t! :-(

I bought the business plan with 7 licenses this morning with hopes that files would stilll be in the cache but it doesn’t look like it. though. In Aug 2017 there was app 2050GB on it. now I have only 93.5MB.

Thanks for your time,

Btw, our account name is [personal information removed by moderator]

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Jonih30

I'll be happy to help - let's see what we can do. 

As a first step, could you check your events page and see if it says anything relevant about any files being removed?

If you don't find much there, could you let me know how you added these photos? Was it through the desktop app, the mobile app, or the website? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Can I recover files from an account that was closed?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi All,

I want to recover files from closed account which was registered earlier from same email id but was not able to keep active due to limited access. Is there any way to get files from closed account cuased of inactive on dropbox?

regards

DD

Highlighted

Re: files recovery

Super User II
Super User II

Unfortunately, once an account has been closed, the files within it are removed from Dropbox and cannot be recovered.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I want to recover my files
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?