cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

Re: Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

Sambrawner
Helpful | Level 5
Oh no, that’s awful.. that’s way too much extra work. Why can’t it just be changed back to the way it was before? Was there an update recently or something, why did it change? I don’t think audio professionals are going to use Dropbox anymore if this is the new norm moving forward. Please change it back!

Re: Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @Sambrawner,

I'm sorry to hear that the suggested workarounds won't be feasible for you to use, and unfortunately this wasn't a recently implemented change. 

I'll make sure to pass along your comments and feedback here to our dev team so that they can review this for future improvements to Dropbox.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here, but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

datisit
New member | Level 2
To the audio professionals following this thread then,

what alternative service do people recommend or are thinking of switching over to for client file sharing and previewing?

I would probably jump to Dropbox premium if they would lift this extra transcode for file previewing, but if not I’ll have to switch somewhere else.

cianriordan
Explorer | Level 4

Agree with ^^^

As a mixing engineer, I just noticed this today when a client came back complaining of 'wierd high end'. I listented to the mixes in my studio and they were fine, so I jumped out to my car and streamed via the dropbox app on my phone -- lo and belold, terrible lossy compression on the audio. Went back inside and checked on the web brower, same thing.

I've used Dropbox to send audio files to clients for years now and it always worked great. It gave me an easy way to keep things organized and accessible in the cloud, and my clients a quick way to listen to work wherever they were.

Now that this is broken, as a paid dropbox subscriber, I will need to find another service that fixes this. Going to try 'Box' this evening to see if they want my money.

This is a real bummer.

Jonnymeman
Explorer | Level 3

I think something new is happening because the original post is from back in october LAST year, I have the exact same issue but this only started happening recently. 

And now I'm in BIG trouble... I work on a radio show that is broadcast to over 300 radio stations across the US. I know the radio station in LA shouldn't be doing this but I think they were playing back directly from dropbox... yes thats on them... but at the same time my client heard their radio broadcast sound like complete garbage, for what seemingly shouldn't even be an issue. C'mon dropbox. This REALLY sucks. 

sceebz
New member | Level 2

I'm chiming in here so say that I've been noticing this loss of audio quality when previewing in the last month or so as well in Nov of 2019. I understand Dropbox says its the browser's fault, but it used to work fine, so something changed recently. As a recording and mix engineer, I can no longer use this once great tool w my clients (or myself) to judge a mix. Total failure of the service I went all in for, so I'm taking any other recommendations for a solution. I would consider the jump to the premium, but it seems that would also potentially suffer from the same bad quality. FYI Im uploading already compressed hig quality 256 kbps mp3s which used to sound about cd quality, now they sound like underwater garbage in the high end.

sceebz
New member | Level 2

Curious if you got any responses or have any advice

@datisit wrote:
To the audio professionals following this thread then,

what alternative service do people recommend or are thinking of switching over to for client file sharing and previewing?

I would probably jump to Dropbox premium if they would lift this extra transcode for file previewing, but if not I’ll have to switch somewhere else.

I'm in the same boat. @datisit

cyclopssound
New member | Level 2

Adding my +1 to all of this. Never had a problem with the streams before but in the last couple months the streams of everything I upload seem to transcode extra poorly. Just went through a big headache with a client where I could not hear what he was hearing, until I accidentally heard the stream sounding digitally garbled. Obviously from now on I will be sending every Dropbox link with a note that they need to download the file before listening, but this is a huge huge bummer.

theblastedman
New member | Level 2

I'm yet another record producer chiming in with the same issue. Sending clients mixes, and listening to things through the mobile app on my own are basically the reason I pay for dropbox premium, and if this is a feature that no longer works properly, then I will have to find an alternative service. @Daphne, are you saying that your company does not intend to fix this issue? So far you haven't given any reassurance that the dropbox team plans to offer this service that everyone here is saying is the sole reason we use this product.

This has been disrupting my workflow for the last month or two, and like others have said, it was initially hard to pin down, as this transcoding issue was not happening for such a long time previously. Some kind of follow up would be fantastic, thank you in advance

sebdollar
New member | Level 2

Just adding my +1 to this. Dropbox used to be my go to both for coordination and coorporation with partners and as the end delivery platform to clints. Now not so much

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sdfsdgfsdfgsdfgsdfgsd New member | Level 2
    JingleDjango Helpful | Level 5
    Scottlmicu Helpful | Level 5
    Jonnymeman Explorer | Level 3
    Tjernell New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?