cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

Re: Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

chris c.28
Helpful | Level 6

Hey,
This post has been marked as solved.

It definitely isn't.

Can you please removed the "Solved" tag from it...

Thanks )

Re: Audio Playback Low Quality when played in Web browser [compared to when downloaded]

cianriordan
Explorer | Level 4

I'm glad other people are starting to realize this.

I've started ammending the statement below to all of my email attachments to clients. An extra step, but at least it makes people aware of the issue, and puts the blame squarely on Dropbox.

** Note: Dropbox has recently started downsampling music when streamed via their mobile app or a web browser. To get around this on your computer, download the file before playing. If you're using the mobile app, click "Make Available Offline". Then you will hear in full quality. A total pain I know, but I'm currently searching for a better service to send mixes to clients. Apologies for the inconvenience **

chris c.28
Helpful | Level 6

Sign this petition to see if we can get them to care a bit more. 

https://tinyurl.com/yg8gc2bc

hilljam
Helpful | Level 6

The petition is nice, I like that. I wouldn't say that I feel optimistic, given the way this thread has gone, that Dropbox will, you know, care, or help. But I signed it anyway. 😂 So here's a question ... what services are the producers and video people etc on here migrating to in light of this development? If someone else has already done the research and I can piggyback off your work, awesome. Thanks!

jamiekuse
New member | Level 2

If they cant fix this I will be cancelling my service. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tjernell
New member | Level 2

Did anyone find an alternative service? This is driving me crazy by now.

Jonnymeman
Explorer | Level 3

I use microsoft one drive now and cancelled my DB subscription.

I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this but when played back on some systems the fragmentation sound was still there... even after downloading it to a computer. I work on a radio show that is broadcast to over 300 radio stations in the US and I had quite a few stations saying they could hear it even after they downloaded it. I heard it on my local station in LA. After switching to one drive it isn't there anymore. Crisis averted... sort of, I wish I didn't have to hear it live in the first place! Thanks DB... you suck. 

Scottlmicu
Helpful | Level 5

I just ran this through support another time because low quality audio previews are a problem for me and my clients.

Dropbox support would not reveal what streaming format the audio is previewed in - compression type, bitrate, etc.  The only info he would share was:

"I am sorry to hear that you feel the quality of the preview is too low. As it is just a preview, it is normal that the quality of it will be lower than normal. However, i will certainly pass your feedback on this on to our development team. 

If you download the file from Dropbox, you will then be able to listen to it in its original quality. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Barry"

It is clear that support doesn't think that this is a problem, nor would he allow me to escalate the issue.  So I'd say don't count on this issue getting any better...

JingleDjango
Helpful | Level 5

Audio streaming quality is so poor that my clients can't even review simple voice-over content reliably. I'm uploading MP3s! Just stream the MP3s!

Sure, I can tell clients to download the files but I want to use the timestamped annotations.

sdfsdgfsdfgsdfgsdfgsd
New member | Level 2

I often send audio masters to clients, and have discovered that if I send 48kHz wav files or MP3-s the quality is ok. However, if I send 96kHz wav files the preview player plays them back terribly distorted! It is especially audible in open arrangements or areas with a lot of bass and not much treble.  Not good! It should be extremely easy to transcode 96kHz into a usable preview without distortion.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sdfsdgfsdfgsdfgsdfgsd New member | Level 2
    JingleDjango Helpful | Level 5
    Scottlmicu Helpful | Level 5
    Jonnymeman Explorer | Level 3
    Tjernell New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?