cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Audio Problems

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

"Is there anyway Dropbox can go back to allowing streaming of uncompressed audio .wav files?"

Doubtful. They seem to be totally blowing it with the creative/media community lately. Between this, and the fact that your clients are led to uselessly navigate inside zip files (instead of an easy to see DOWNLOAD button), I'm not sure what they're thinking/smoking over there but it seemy pretty consumery now and not very pro/business friendly.

It's too bad because I really enjoy the Mac Finder integration and new app stuff they've added, but if clients are having troubles auditioning the files accurately, it's all for nothing.

It sounds like you would benefit from using Filepass:
[link to external website removed as per the Community Guidelines]

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply. Feel the same way.

Ya, Filepass is great.  I actually know one of the creators...Brian Hood.  Very studio friendly, however, yet another service to pay for when DB does so much of this kind of thing so well.

Fingers crossed.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Yes, Brian is doing great things. I plan to check it out more closely when they add more mastering focused features like seamless playback between files so cleints can approve masters like a DDP, etc... but it seems like a great thing for mix engineers.

Most likely Dropbox will "share this feedback with their developers and team members" and nothing will actually change.

While I often provide my clients with a DDP and DDP Player to approve masters, I've updated my email templates to note that Dropbox audio quality is garbage when streaming from their site and to download the file locally when possible so they can hear it unmangled.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Done.  Thanks for the link!!!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hey Dropbox, going to restate this issue. Especially now with the world going more online. We’re going to need to be able to utilize Dropbox so much more. Please allow us to stream audio files (as uncompressed wavs) vía your website. At least as a 16bit, 44.1kHz wav file! Thank you.
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

I've completely given up on Dropbox caring about this. They just don't get it. Same with allowing people to see inside zip files, which makes no sense.

Clearly, people who don't really use Dropbox in professional situations are making big decisions for Dropbox, and that's never a good idea. Dropbox does so many things right, and then they totally blow with stupid stuff like this.

Here's a note I just recieved from a cleint, despite warning them not to listen from Dropbox because it sounds like garbage:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84rjgjorjahvuwi/ETtnIj8X0AAe5_a.jpeg?dl=0

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I posted this elsewhere in these forums as well.

I just ran this through support another time because low quality audio previews are a problem for me and my clients.

Dropbox support would not reveal what streaming format the audio is previewed in - compression type, bitrate, etc.  The only info he would share was:

"I am sorry to hear that you feel the quality of the preview is too low. As it is just a preview, it is normal that the quality of it will be lower than normal. However, i will certainly pass your feedback on this on to our development team. 

If you download the file from Dropbox, you will then be able to listen to it in its original quality. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Barry"

It is clear that support doesn't think that this is a problem, nor would he allow me to escalate the issue.  So I'd say don't count on this issue getting any better...

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you guys for fighting for this. I am in the exact, exact same boat. I wrote support an email in November, didn't reply because of tour. I remembered now because I, like the rest of you, am working from home now. It pains me that it used to be perfect. It pains me how I am otherwise perfectly integrated into dropbox. I just replied to the five month old support thread, here were my main points:

"Yes, I tried clearing my cache. No change" (lol)

"Here are some null tests featuring a dropbox stream against the orignal WAV. No questions, no audio engineer buzzwords, just proof of degradation"

"This hurts me directly. What the clients hear matters the most. I can't let them hear digitally compromised versions of my work. They're on the go. I literally use iMessage now." ***you fine audio gents can understand that at least I can control the **bleep** factor of the m4a***

"I'm sure the higher ups are thrilled that I'm still paying the same yearly rate and their server traffic from streaming went down".

"Oh, PS, I did the null test with google drive in safari to see if the issue came from the browser. Nope, the output of the test was dead silence"

We shall see, boys. I guess I have to be ready to lose another ~$100 a year to a new service.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

And thank you Justin for the filepass mention. I've never seen it before. Looks amazing; the price sucks. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled either way. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?