cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto sync deleted my data

Highlighted

Auto sync deleted my data

Explorer | Level 3

Here is my problem:
I have a dropbox basic account and after my dropbox was overcrowded, i kept getting error messages regarding synchronization problems. For this reason I deactivated synchronization on my notebook and then emptied my dropbox. This way i can use my dropbox again and my data is saved on my notebook - thats what I thought. After I restarted my notebook, my dropbox automatically synchronised the data somehow and therefore deleted all data from my laptop. Since there were too many data for the basic account, I cannot even find them among the deleted data.

Is there a possibility to recover the data?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Auto sync deleted my data

Dropboxer

Hi @AlexSteiner; welcome to the Community and sorry to hear about your missing files.

Can you please clarify if you unlinked your account through the app's preferences before you did those changes or if you had just paused syncing (or quit the app)?

Could you take a look at your computer's recycle bin for those deleted files and also check your events page for more information on what happened? 

Keep me posted on your findings, Alex. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi thank you for the response,

there are no deleted files in my dropbox account (the page was empty right after i deleted the files online):

2020-09-30 14_20_04-Gelöschte Dateien – Dropbox.png

There are no files in my recycle bin. Maybe i just paused syncing. I think, thats the problem :(

Here is a screenshot from the events page:

2020-09-30 14_24_04-Dropbox.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @AlexSteiner.

When you removed the files online, did you then permanently delete them from the deleted files page?

If so, this would meant that the files can't be recovered through Dropbox I'm afraid.

Let me know!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

No, I did not delete them from the deleted files page, but i got the message that the files i want to delete are to big for my dropbox account and will be deleted permenently.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hmm, that doesn't sounds like a Dropbox notification. Just to clarify, did you delete the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer?

This sounds like the OS notification from the trash bin when deleting a large amount of data @AlexSteiner.

In this case, we would have to look into trying to restore the files through the website. If you click on one of the deletion entries, to see more info for the event, do you have the option to "Restore" on the right of the page?

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?