cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Backup with Dropbox folder in external HD

Automatic Backup with Dropbox folder in external HD

plp
Explorer | Level 4

I have a very small but very fast SSD as my "C" disk in my PC. I have a 2TB Dropbox account synched to a dropbox folder in my "D" disk, a 4TB internal Hard Disk.

I would like to do an automatic backup of my personal folders (Desktop, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc.) to Dropbox, buy I can not because my personal folders and the Dropbox folder are not in the same Hard Disk. I do not understand the reason for this restriction.

Is there a way around this restriction?

3 Replies 3

Re: Automatic Backup with Dropbox folder in external HD

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @plp, thanks for posting your question here.

You're right, if the Dropbox folder and the folders you’d like to back up aren’t on the same hard drive, they won't be added to your Dropbox folder. 

Currently, the only way to change that is to move them so that they are on the same drive.

Are you able to move either the folders in question or the Dropbox folder by any chance?

Let me know and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plp
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, Thank you for your answer.

My Dropbox Folder is over 1 TB (and growing) and the space available in my SSD "C" Disk is less than 200 GB. That is the reason why I had to put my Dropbox folder in another drive (a 4TB HD Disk)

So, in answer to yur question: No, I can not put both folders in my C Drive, and I do not want to move de Operating System to my big disk because the SSD is much faster.

¿Any suggestions?. Thank you.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply, @plp

Currently, there isn't a way around this that I'd recommend, but I do understand how important this is for you and we do appreciated your feedback. 

If you'd like, you can post this as a feature that you'd like to see being implemented in the future, here, where like-minded users will comment and upvote it.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?