cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic backup - how can I disable this when the backup tab is showing setup?

Automatic backup - how can I disable this when the backup tab is showing setup?

seanacurrie
New member | Level 2

Since yesterday my Dropbox has been automatically backing up my Desktop/Downloads/Documents folders.  I have tried to turn this off by following the steps outlined in previous threads.  When I click on preferences there is no Import Tab.  If I click on the backup tab it gives me the option to set-up automatic backup.  If I click on this it takes me into a set-up to back up the 3 mentioned folders.  

I have tried to unclick all 3 folders but then the set-up tab blanks out.  If I keep one folder ticked, and proceed it goes into a set-up process that never ends.

As a result my dropbox is now full and I cannot upload any files.  If I delete to create space the files then disappear from my PC.

Maybe I am cynical but this seems like a move by Dropbox to get free account holders to either upgrade or leave.  If so, why not just be upfront about it.

I would really appreciate it if someone knows how to resolve this as the steps I have found so far do not seem to work.

1 Reply 1

Re: Automatic backup - how can I disable this when the backup tab is showing setup?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @seanacurrie, I hope you're having a good day!

Since you're seeing "Set up" instead of "Manage" for the computer backup setting, that would mean that the computer backup feature has been disabled, but the files are still within Dropbox.

Can you navigate to the "My PC" folder in Dropbox on your computer and try moving the file to the original locations on your computer?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?