cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic update

Automatic update

Explorer | Level 3

please tell me how to ensure that if i add a new file in my hard drive that autmatically gets updated in my dropbox folder too

9 Replies 9

Re: Automatic update

Dropboxer

Hi @Lajja31, thanks for joining the Community!

Are you referring to adding a file anywhere on your hard drive, or are you specifically adding it into the Dropbox folder on the machine and want it to sync to your account online?

Is the Dropbox desktop application installed and running in the system tray/menu bar?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hello....thank you for the prompt response. I am talking about the folder in my hard drive. So if I add a new file in teh folder in my hard drive....can it automatically get updated in that folder in Dropbox as well ?

Super User II

@Lajja31 wrote:
I am talking about the folder in my hard drive. So if I add a new file in teh folder in my hard drive....can it automatically get updated in that folder in Dropbox as well ?

As long as you're adding the new file to the Dropbox folder, and the Dropbox application is running, it will automatically sync that file to your account online. Dropbox can only monitor files and folders that are located within the Dropbox folder.

Explorer | Level 3
Got that...thank you so much for clarifying. One last help please - so is there any way to do what I said. That I add or make changes in a file in my hard drive folder and that file gets updated/added in the dropbox folder? Or will I have to add that manually every time I make a change or add a new file...

Many thanks in advance....

Explorer | Level 3
Got that...thank you so much for clarifying. One last help please - so is there any way to do what I said. That I add or make changes in a file in my hard drive folder and that file gets updated/added in the dropbox folder? Or will I have to add that manually every time I make a change or add a new file...

Automatic update of files

Explorer | Level 3

Is there any way to do this - I add or make changes in a file in my hard drive folder and that file gets updated/added in the dropbox folder? Or will I have to add that manually every time I make a change or add a new file...

Re: Automatic update of files

New member | Level 2

As far as I know you have to enable automatic sync in your Dropbox account. From there on all files are uploaded to your account and also updated if you make any changes from one device to all other devices you've signed into. 

Explorer | Level 3
But that's only for paid subscriptions right ?

Super User II

@Lajja31 wrote:

I add or make changes in a file in my hard drive folder and that file gets updated/added in the dropbox folder? Or will I have to add that manually every time I make a change or add a new file...

Dropbox only syncs files that are in your Dropbox folder*. If you're editing files elsewhere on your computer, then Dropbox will not automatically sync them and you'd have to copy them into the Dropbox folder manually. Instead, these files should be moved into your Dropbox folder. You can then work on them directly from that folder, and Dropbox will sync all changes as they're made.

This is how it works regardless of your account level; paid or free.

* With the automatic backup feature enabled, Dropbox also syncs the files in your Desktop, Documents and Download folder, however this occurs by Dropbox moving those locations into your Dropbox folder.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?