cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic upload of photos from iPhone to Dropbox

Automatic upload of photos from iPhone to Dropbox

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3
Hello, I've set my images to upload automatically to Dropbox via wifi. My wifi is turned on almost all of the time, yet I see that my images are not syncing unless I keep the Dropbox open on my iPhone. And it doesn't happen when it's open in the background, only when I bring it in the foreground, so I need to keep Dropbox open to wait for them to back up. Every time I open Dropbox I see thousands of unsynced images. Could you let me know how can I resolve this? I don't want to use my cellular data for syncing and I don't know why are the images not uploading in the background.

10 Replies 10

Re: Automatic upload of photos from iPhone to Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @foodie_lover, thanks for posting today!

Have you enabled the background uploading option for camera uploads?

Are location services enabled on the iPhone to allow the app to run in the background?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. Here are the settings on both my phone and Dropbox. My battery has enough capacity too. 

photo_2021-02-19_14-47-44.jpgphoto_2021-02-19_14-47-40.jpg

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3

I would also like to note that I have enabled iCloud photos on my phone and I've enabled optimization of iPhone storage. Not sure if this is related. 

Jay
Dropboxer
The iCloud and Optimize storage will force the camera upload feature to take long, because Dropbox needs to first download the full quality file from iCloud to the phone, to then upload it to Dropbox.

When waiting for the files to upload, is the phone physically moving, or is it resting on a table or in the same position? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, I usually leave it laying when they are uploading. What’s the relation between the uploading and the physical movement of the phone? I now noticed that the process has stuck when I opened the app and nothing is being uploaded.

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3
Some of the images from today have uploaded already but a lot of old photos are missing and there’s nothing from yesterday for example. What’s the mechanism of the syncing? Does it take the newest photos first and is there and chronological order?

Jay
Dropboxer
The automatic camera upload feature works whenever the app is kept active. Regarding the mobile app, iOS  shuts down any app which is in the background after a few minutes to save battery and processor usage.

To keep the app active, location services is enabled, so any change of location would then tell iOS that the app needs this info, and keeps it active. Even though it's enabled, if the phone isn't moving, there is no location change, so iOS will still shutdown the app, and stop any uploads.

Regarding the order of images, the phone would upload the oldest file first until the most recent.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

foodie_lover
Explorer | Level 3
Does that mean that this feature is actually not supported on iOS? Is there any way around it? It used to work very well before and all my images were syncing regardless if I was moving or not.

Regarding the order of uploads, like I mentioned, the photos from today are uploaded to my Dropbox but the ones from yesterday for example are missing. There are also lots of older photos that are not there. I’m not sure if that’s the correct order.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and reinstalling it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?