cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Automatically Deleting Photos Backups?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi there Community!  I've been using Dropbox for a decade, I've never had this kind of problem before and not sure what to make of it.

I keep getting notifications each day that dozens of files are being deleted from my dropbox, but I wasn't actually deleting anything.  Like 40-80 files at a time.  At first I thought maybe it was a shared folder thing, but then I found where the deleted files are being stored - in the hidden .dropbox.cache folder -- and --

-- What they appear to be are TEMPORARY files from my iPHOTO LIBRARY.

I keep my iPhoto Library in Drop Box because then I know my pictures are always backed up, and each of these files that are appearing is either a DUPLICATE of a photo in my Photo Library that's been renamed like -- 

8E704C9F-5BDD-4DF0-8869-3314DF6373AC_CS_Thumb (deleted )

or a temp file like --

~fb1f2de0.tmp

These are all dups of photos from my library -- sometimes the .tmp and deleted files are actually exactly the same photo, and each file (all pictures or videos) takes up as much space as the original picture, so all day long I'm watching my hard drive get filled up as these files appear.  I'm not even using my iPhoto library right now, and I'm actually watching new .tmp files appear in this folder.  There are 550 in there right now.  

And I just deleted them all without any kind of apparent adverse reaction, and cleared 15GB of useless files.

And 52 new .tmp files just appeared.  I'm not doing anything but typing this post.

Then there are dated folders at the bottom that contain the offending "deleted" files which triggered the notifications, and which I did not manually delete, and which are NOT actually deleted, but are being stored for some reason, and are in fact duplicates of files that are still happily living in the Photo Library.

I've been keeping my Photo Library in Db for years so I imagine this is due to the recent updates that DB has been instituting, but I sure would like to stop this from happening.

Any clues out there would be most appreciated and rewarded with generous compliments (ex. "Hey, nice tie!").

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Automatically Deleting Photos Backups?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @JMLfilm - how are you today?  

It seems that the behavior you're referring to is not a problem, but is due to the way those files are stored in your computer. These are container or package files (the iPhotos libraries).   

Container or package files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them including those necessary for the associated application to open them correctly. Those files are needed for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires.

If you take a look at those files in the Dropbox website or from a different operating system, in case they have already been synced, they resemble a folder (or directory) containing all the files that I mentioned before. This is not a problem, it's just the way those files are saved.

These files could be created from several different applications such as word processors, photo, video or music editors, backup apps, or any other software. Please note that those files can only be opened correctly when you use the application that created them originally and the files inside of them haven't been modified manually. In other words, Dropbox will sync those files exactly as it receives them, but it is not responsible for opening or editing them and you will still need to have the appropriate software on your computer to do so, just as with files from any other source. If the files inside the container or package were modified manually (or somehow programmatically), you may receive error messages when attempting to open them even if you're using the proper application. 

For more information about them or if you're having problems with them, I’d recommend contacting the customer support organization of the product you used to create those files. 

Here are two resources from Apple that could help: 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/32196643#message32196643 

https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.2/?lang=en#/pht6d60d10f 

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Welcome to the Community!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @JMLfilm - how are you today?  

It seems that the behavior you're referring to is not a problem, but is due to the way those files are stored in your computer. These are container or package files (the iPhotos libraries).   

Container or package files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them including those necessary for the associated application to open them correctly. Those files are needed for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires.

If you take a look at those files in the Dropbox website or from a different operating system, in case they have already been synced, they resemble a folder (or directory) containing all the files that I mentioned before. This is not a problem, it's just the way those files are saved.

These files could be created from several different applications such as word processors, photo, video or music editors, backup apps, or any other software. Please note that those files can only be opened correctly when you use the application that created them originally and the files inside of them haven't been modified manually. In other words, Dropbox will sync those files exactly as it receives them, but it is not responsible for opening or editing them and you will still need to have the appropriate software on your computer to do so, just as with files from any other source. If the files inside the container or package were modified manually (or somehow programmatically), you may receive error messages when attempting to open them even if you're using the proper application. 

For more information about them or if you're having problems with them, I’d recommend contacting the customer support organization of the product you used to create those files. 

Here are two resources from Apple that could help: 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/32196643#message32196643 

https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.2/?lang=en#/pht6d60d10f 

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Welcome to the Community!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Wow, Thanks Walter!!  So it must be something outside dropbox triggering these apparently automated actions.

Thanks so much for your thorough and knowledgable reply!!

I'll check out these links!

Josh

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your quick follow up Josh; I'm still waiting for my tie's compliment tho

Whenever you get the chance, please let me know what your findings were!

Thanks in advance and have a marvelous week ahead too @JMLfilm 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey Walter!

I did a little experimenting, and it seemed like you were totally on the money!  I was looking for the button to Accept the Solution but I don't see one anywhere - otherwise your answer would be the official answer for this weird problem!

Apple seems to be very unhappy when you move your iPhoto library into dropbox, and with my phone connected via iCloud to iPhoto, it was creating essentially essentially a second library where my photos were being automatically downloaded, then when I opened iPhoto (I had to manually select the dropbox library location every time I opened it) and moved the photos in, it deleted them from the other library in the default location -- somehow telling dropbox that the photos had been deleted even though those thumbnails weren't actually even in Dropbox.  Super, super weird, but definitely a result of automatic software behavior in the background pinging a response from dropbox.  Just seems like iPhoto and Dropbox don't play nice together.

I have no idea why they were talking to each other that way, or why Apple doesn't like having the iPhoto libary in dropbox, but I moved the photo library back to the default location and everyone seems happy now. AND it somehow cleared up 60GB from my hard drive, which must have been some kind of weird cross talk in storing thumbnails or something.

Sometimes things just work better when you work inside what they were designed to do and I guess this was one of those times.

Thanks again for your reply, snazzy suit and killer hairdo!

Cheers,

Josh

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Right back at ya @JMLfilm

Also, thanks for the sticking with me on this one and providing the additional context surrounding your case too; I think it could prove to be very useful for other users stumbling upon this behavior.

As for the 'Accept as Solution' button, I'm attaching a screenshot to show where exactly it's located as it's not very obvious (you have to click on the ellipsis button of the reply you're marking as such) - especially for new Community users. 111.jpg

Have a great day/night ahead and feel free to get back in touch if any additional questions arise; we're always a post away after all!

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?