cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automatically upload folders without syncing a local copy

Automatically upload folders without syncing a local copy

oshri3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi 

i am a photographer and i have a lot of images that i am tkaing every day

and i would like an automation backup that will upload all my files to dropbox without sync it to my local computer and than i would like to be able to delete them 

the reson is becuase i would like to keep my storage clean 

so i can backup it to dropbox and than delete them 

is it possible?

the problem is that dropbox app sync all my dropbox folder to my local computer 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Remember that Dropbox is not a backup service. It's a file synchronization service meant to keep a copy of the files on your computer in-sync with a copy online and on other devices. It is not a proper backup service and shouldn't be used as one. There are far better services out there if backup is your only purpose.

Also, Selective Sync is a feature that is available to all account levels, even the free Basic accounts. Smart Sync is the feature that is available to Professional and Business accounts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm afraid not - certainly not automatically anyway.

Dropbox isnt a backup tool and so it lacks the functionality that would come with a backup program.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @oshri3, welcome to our community! 

Like Mark mentioned, there isn’t an automatic way of doing what you’re looking to do. However, once you get your photos uploaded into your Dropbox, you can use our Selective Sync feature to prevent them from syncing to your computer.

With Selective Sync you can choose which of your folders you want to sync to your computer, while all your content remains available online at dropbox.com. More details here

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

oshri3
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

it is bad that dropbox doesn't have this feature , for me automuated uploader is basic utililty for using dropbox as backup of my coputer

for this Selective sync that you mention this option is open for buisnes members only , and i am uisng the Standard 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Remember that Dropbox is not a backup service. It's a file synchronization service meant to keep a copy of the files on your computer in-sync with a copy online and on other devices. It is not a proper backup service and shouldn't be used as one. There are far better services out there if backup is your only purpose.

Also, Selective Sync is a feature that is available to all account levels, even the free Basic accounts. Smart Sync is the feature that is available to Professional and Business accounts.

lizzbe78
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Then it is utterly useless as anything except an enterprise solution. I have files on various storage drives which I need to efficiently upload to the cloud, but with DropBox I cannot achieve that (despite setting up all of the sync options, etc it has literally just decimated my brand new macbook pro storage). Literally: What. Is. The. Point. A synchronisation service? Whoopdidoo. If I need a file I can literally log onto the web portal and edit it there, just like Google Drive and Amazon Drive. No-one has excessive GB and TB free space on their local device. It is utterly reductive as a commercial solution without an effective way to upload whilst not killing your very expensive devices.

Need more support?