cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Backing Up To A Folder With Smartsync Active Fails

Helpful | Level 5

I know there is a discussion about SmartSync elsewhere but this is a new issue... so here goes.

Several times a day, Acronis TrueImage wraps up some critical account files and creates a backup file in a Dropbox directory. That file is then uploaded to dropbox in the normal way and provides an excellent backup. 

Since enabling SmartSync, this no longer works, even though the directory to which the backup is being written is marked 'local only' and has never been set to 'online'. It seems that the propeties of ALL subfolders under my main dropbox folder have been altered in some way that makes TrueImage believe that the directory is inaccesible - even though it is. I can, for example, write new files (excel for example) to that directory with no problem.

This has damaged our ability to backup critical files frequently and store automatically on Dropbox.

I now know I can disable the extension via the website and that will disable smartsync. Happy days. However, I have two questions.

1. If I disabled the extention, thus disabling smartsync, what happens on any other PC where smart sync has been active and made some files offline? Will those files download as part of the new disabled environment again or will I need to turn on the extension, makes all files local on every PC, and the disable it again?

2. Why won't a backup work to a sub directory that has always been marked local after the installation of smartsync?

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Backing Up To A Folder With Smartsync Active Fails

Helpful | Level 5

I've been invited by the forum to mark this as an accepted solution.

Well, the solution would be for SmartSync not to drive a coach and horses through a backup procedure so I can't really say that!

However, disabling the extension and reloading dropbox has provided, if not a fix then at least a 'dirty workaround' so things are back to normal again.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @PeterAllingham, kindly note that we’re currently aware that applications backing up your files may download them temporarily if they’re set to Online-Only, however this also depends on the app’s design & relevant permissions. To my mind, the best course of action at the moment would be enquiring about the behavior to the Support team of the application in question, since it looks as if your files are ignored irrespective of whether they’re set to Local or Online-only. 

If I disabled the extention, thus disabling smartsync, what happens on any other PC where smart sync has been active and made some files offline? 

If you disable system extensions Peter, this will be effective on all your connected devices. Once you do, you’ll see a prompt regarding the changes in your account that reads:  You’ll be signed out of Dropbox on all computers you’ve connected. Once you’ve signed in again, files that were online-only will be downloaded and take up space on your hard drive.

Why won't a backup work to a sub directory that has always been marked local after the installation of smartsync?

Off the top of my head, I’d say that this depends on how your back up app has been fetching file input, however I’m afraid I can’t elaborate more on the matter, since its outside my area of expertise. 

I hope that this is helpful for you to a certain extent & please feel free to touch-base with me here should you have any follow-up questions or thoughts. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Jane, for your response.

I've unwound the entire thing and redownloaded the lot (800gb) so things are now back to normal. However, poking around in security, I notice a series of bizarre and apparently contradictory security settings which were on the smartsync victim (I mean PC) but not on the other machines where I run the same dropbox account. In the end, the only way to zero the drive in again was to format it as I couldn't change or remove the security settings to remove the dropbxo main directory even after disconnecting the machine and acting as administrator.

As I said, I don't think this function is fully matured and, for that reason, I think it should be a beta not production option. I think DB support will take quite a hit over the coming months as this rolls out over the user base.

Best,

Peter.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @PeterAllingham, happy to hear that you have now managed to untangle the knots on your end & thanks a lot for looping back to me to let me know of the progress!

Following-up from your comments here, I understand that Smart Sync isn’t the solution you’re currently looking for, however I appreciate the time you devoted to share your thoughts with us. As our team is always looking for ways to improve, it’s very useful to understand your perspective; positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us paint a clearer picture of what could enhance the way you’re interacting with Dropbox. 

That said Peter, my comment here is an open invite to ping me back here if you have any additional security concerns, as it’s possible that there’s an explanation for anything may be bothering you. Thanks again for keeping in touch with me here & happy Dropboxing ahead Peter!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I've been invited by the forum to mark this as an accepted solution.

Well, the solution would be for SmartSync not to drive a coach and horses through a backup procedure so I can't really say that!

However, disabling the extension and reloading dropbox has provided, if not a fix then at least a 'dirty workaround' so things are back to normal again.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I appreciate it that you circled back to us after the nudge message @PeterAllingham, I’ve now gone ahead & accepted your last comment as the Best Answer, since it may be useful to others viewing this conversation in the future.

Thanks for checking in & take care until we talk again! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?