cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Backing up 5 years of Photos......and then stall !!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm backing up 5 years worth of Lightroom photos to DropBox from a secondary drive on my computer. 

I started the backup but at some point it stalled. Now I'm left wondering which photo files were not saved. If I were moving files from point A to point B on my computer, after a stall the computer would just fill in the files that weren't transferred or ask if I should over write. 

Does dropbox have such a function or will it just make duplicates of the files that were already uploaded?

Or is there a better way to move 500+GB's of data.  I can't use my primary drive. It's a small SSD for speed so not enough room.

Thanks

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Backing up 5 years of Photos......and then stall !!!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Happy to answer to your first thread in our Community @KrizyManiac!

If your drive doesn't have enough space to fit the data for this Dropbox upload, you will need to split this upload in smaller batches of files that your drive could fit. When your files are fully uploaded to Dropbox, you can use Selective Sync to remove them from the drive and then drop the next batch of files in Dropbox. 

It sound like a lot of work, but please keep in mind that syncing 500 GB at once would be a "heavy" task for your device and the app and it could take longer than the workaround I am suggesting. 

As for the behavior you will get, dropping the same files in Dropbox, I will need to know if you are using your local Dropbox folder or the new Dropbox desktop app. 

The new Dropbox desktop app will duplicate them, while your Operting system and the local Dropbox folder, will give you the option to overwrite them, if you wish. It will ask you. 

Let me know if this was helpful. 

Welcome to the Community! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?