cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup an attached external drive

Backup an attached external drive

BuddyZither
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, apparently DropBox should pop up to back up external drives, but mine isn't. I think it has in the past but I dismissed the dialog. Is there any way to force it to back up and sync. The external drive contains all my music projects which are also time machine backed up. Are there any issues in doing this multi backup thing?

11 Replies 11

Re: Backup an attached external drive

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @BuddyZither, welcome aboard and thanks for using Dropbox!

Could you please check the app's preferences under the backups tab and let me know if you can see the external drive backup option listed and/or enabled there?

Also, have you made sure that it's a supported drive outlined here

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BuddyZither
Explorer | Level 3

Hiya Walter. Yes, the external backup setting is there and on. The drive is thunderbolt 3 formatted as APFS (I'm on a mac macOS 12.2). I think it popped up a dialogue in the past but I dismissed it. Now I have 2TB of space, I'd like to backup this drive. Just tried with a USB stick which the mac recognised but didn't get a DropBox dialog. Thanks.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info @BuddyZither - much appreciated. 

Can  you clarify the drive's size and how much data is stored there at the moment? 

Have you tried toggling off the relevant setting and back on to see if that makes a difference? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BuddyZither
Explorer | Level 3

It's a 1TB SSD 604 GB free. I've tried toggling off, disconnecting the drive. Toggling on then reconnecting. Nada!

wanderson
New member | Level 2

Same issue here.. really frustrating... I clicked 'Not Now' and there nowhere i can seem to enable it... Surely there's a fix??

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying that for me @BuddyZither

Also, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're also having issues with this @wanderson

Could you please try resetting file system warning options through the app's preferences?

To bring up the button, please hold alt+h (for Windows) or the option/alt key (for Macs) when on the account tab. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

wanderson
New member | Level 2

Thanks... felt promising but it hasnt prompted anything unfortunately... i've tried quiting db, ejecting drives etc in different order but doesnt seem to help... 

BuddyZither
Explorer | Level 3

By 'file system warnings', do you mean 'Show setup notifications when new external drives are plugged in'?

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this @wanderson - much appreciated.

Since you've already done some troubleshooting on this, I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team for further assistance with device and account specific information.

As for your case now @BuddyZither - did you have the chance to try the option you mentioned? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    BuddyZither Explorer | Level 3
    wanderson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?