cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup deletes computer files.

Backup deletes computer files.

MediaAl
New member | Level 2

Backup deletes computer files. Support subpar. Agent leaves in middle of chat because shift is over. Not allowed to escalate or speak on phone.

16 Replies 16

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hello @MediaAl, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Computer backup lets you back up computer folders (such as Desktop, Documents, and Downloads) to your Dropbox folder. 

If you don't see them in your Dropbox folder, could you check your events page, Files tab via the website, as well as your local Trash/Recycling Bin? 

Also, your support options depend on the account that you have.

You can find yours by logging in and going to dropbox.com/support

Since you mention that you had a chat, could you let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) so as to have a better look into this for you?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joe A.23
Helpful | Level 5

This happened to me the other day. I installed the new Dropbox Backups app and selected Desktop and Documents. I thought, gee, sounds like a good idea to have Dropbox automatically backup my desktop and document folders. I ran it and immediately started noticing all my desktop icons and folders disappear one by one. I panicked and alt-ctrl-del the program at "87% complete" and wondered what the heck happened.

Fortunately, I found all my files in my main Dropbox folder under a new folder called My PC (DESKTOP-NAME). This backup app managed to move 86GB of files I had on my desktop to a folder in Dropbox in less than a minute. Then began the process of uploading them (2 days!) Is this how it is supposed to work? Why the heck would it remove files from the desktop and documents and put them into the main Dropbox folder? Is it supposed to put them all there to backup, then create symlinks or something to put them back on the desktop after the process is complete? Did I interrupt it too soon? It sounds like a good concept but it literally wrecked my entire desktop layout of icons and folders and I'm utterly confused as to why it would do that. I guess it could be worse. I guess it could have deleted them all outright and I'd have 86GB of personal and client files gone. 

Nonetheless, now I need to spend time putting everything back the way I had it manually, which is incredibly annoying as a result of something that is supposed to "help".

KID1
Helpful | Level 5

This happened to me too. I am missing quite a few files now and they are all from the most important areas. Have you managed to recover files? If so, how?

Joe A.23
Helpful | Level 5

On my computer, the backup seemed to simply move all my Desktop files into the Dropbox folder under a new HIDDEN folder called MY PC (Name of Computer). I'm using Windows 10, so I found them under C:/Users/[User]/Dropbox/My PC

I don't know about Mac's, but in Windows, you also need to open the Windows Explorer (or any folder) and check off the "Hidden Items" under the Show/hide display settings in the VIEW tab. I would assume Mac's have something similar somewhere in the settings - just Google how to view hidden folders on Mac if that is a thing.

Here's a screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/ovKaam2r

My setup shows hidden files all the time because I like seeing everything which is probably why I found it right away, but most people have this unchecked by default! If it's unchecked, you most likely will not see your files because Dropbox put them in a hidden folder for whatever reason. Nice double-whammy there. After it's checked, the folders should show up in your list of folders in your main local Dropbox folder with a lighter shade than regular folders. The lighter shade indicates it's supposed to be a hidden system folder. But once you actually see it, you can interact with it and move/copy like any other folder.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Not applicable

JoeA and KID1, Thank you for your replies and guidance, and sorry this happened to you as well. Seems to be widespread as I've seen other similar complaints without real resolution. Even when I try to delete the files from DropBox, I get a warning saying it will delete from the computer as well, including the hidden folder. It's unnecessarily confusing and takes way too much time away from work. I got a response from DropBox Facebook but no luck there.  To the Dropbox support person who replied: I realize that the type of support depends on the level of my account, but after I've tried everything, it seems that someone from Dropbox would realize that this case, as widespread as it is, would deserve more attention from your company. The impression you are leaving is that by making it difficult to stop the backup that I didn't sign up for, I constantly run out of space, thereby basically forcing an upgrade, which I won't do unless this is resolved.

Not applicable

Hello Lusil,

How can I find past chats or case numbers so I can send them to you? Can you also please explain why Dropbox has a policy of cutting off customers in the middle of a chat/resolving an issue, because their shift has ended? Leaving the customer with no resolution?

Also, if I close my account, is it still possible to access a client's Dropbox when they want to share a file with me, and can I still share a file with them, as long as I have access to their Dropbox account? This whole episode has left me looking for alternatives with much better and more responsive customer service (You are the exception) , along with much less upselling and no losing of files or spending so much time searching for those files.

Al

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all your updates here and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this beta feature!

Did you manage to locate the files that you were missing @KID1?

For your previous communications with our Support team @anonymous you should have received a follow up email and chat transcript containing the ticket number for your case.

When chatting with a member of our Support team, if the chat becomes inactive then the chat may be closed due to inactivity. Perhaps this was the case?

Otherwise, is it possible that your account is a free Basic Dropbox account, and you chatted with our Support Dropbot? 

If the client were to share a link to the folder with you so that you can view and download the content, then you wouldn't need to have your own Dropbox account to access the links.

However, if you needed to collaborate on content and use a shared folder where you will have edit rights, then you would need to have your own account to hold the folder.

I'd be more than happy to help out with any issues or questions you have, so please don't hesitate to get back to me and Lusil here.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Not applicable

Hi Daphne, I have searched several times and don't have a chat transcript. I don't know why. The chat originated from a post that I did on the Dropbox Facebook page.

The chat was not stopped because if inactivity because I was still on and asking where the person was. I was told by one of your representatives later that the chat was stopped because the person's shift was over and that's the way Dropbox operates. This, to me, is not acceptable service, but I do understand that people want to leave when their shift's are over. There was no warning, and at least a conversation should continue once it has started.

Do edit rights mean that I can put things into the folder or, if I close my account, would I only be able to view and download what the other person with the account has put in there?

Thank you for your assistance. I have definitely lost files because of this beta, which I'm still not sure if I have stopped.

Al

KID1
Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne the files have not been located. I have a ticket in for investigation too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Marko747 Explorer | Level 4
    anonymous Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?