cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup not starting

Backup not starting

JoeL11
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to set up Dropbox to back up my Documents folder, but I have a few issues that might be causing it not to function.  When I go to Preferences then Backup, and select Documents, DropBox opens another window and says something to the effect of Get Ready or such.  But this runs and runs and then does nothing.

Further info:

1.  I have Carbonite back up running and would like to keep that in place, plus backup to DropBox.  Is this possible?  Could this be the source of my issues?

2.  I have two Document libraries, one on the C drive and one on the D drive.  It is the D drive that I want to back up, which is the same drive that the Dropbox folder is on.  I can't seem to rename the one on C, since it is a system created library.

Any ideas on how to resolve this, or should I just move the Documents library into Dropbox and let it operate just like another library?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@JoeL11 wrote:

I am trying to set up Dropbox to back up my Documents folder, ...

Further info:

2.  I have two Document libraries, one on the C drive and one on the D drive.  It is the D drive that I want to back up, which is the same drive that the Dropbox folder is on.  I can't seem to rename the one on C, since it is a system created library.

Hi @JoeL11,

Take in mind that on a particular (local) account can be only one Documents folder assumed by the system as a such! You can name as much folder as you want to "Documents", of course, but only one of them can be the system one (that where you get in when select "Documents" in your file browser). When you are selecting Documents (or other) for backup in Dropbox application, there is assumed the system folder, not another. 🙂 Be careful.

You can "backup" any other folder with just move it into Dropbox folder and place a symbolic link with the same name at the original place pointing to the new place (in Dropbox folder). 😉 That's it. So called "Computer backup" does exactly the same. Dropbox doesn't perform actual backup, but a sync looking like backup.

Hope this helps.

JoeL11
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your response.  I understand the point you are making.

One question, how do I place a symbolic link to the folder in Dropbox, from the old place the folder was?

Again, thank you for your assistance!!

Need more support?