cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/sync set up

Backup/sync set up

charliewittig
Explorer | Level 3

Greetings all....a little advice please?

I finally decided to upgrade to 3TB and use Dropbox for online backups.   I am running Windows 10 Pro and have Dropbox installed on the OS drive C: (250gb ssd).  Since my OS drive space is limited, I have internal drives for Apps and my data.  I am trying to set up a backup of my "Desktop" and "Data" locations, but I seem to be going around in circles.   It keeps telling me that "Dropbox and folder are on different drives" when I try to select "Documents" (which is on a different internal drive).

I know I am probably missing something really simple, but I am currently stuck trying to figure it out.

Any suggestion?  Thank you.

charliewittig_0-1617459572798.png

2 Replies 2

Re: Backup/sync set up

Rich
Super User II

@charliewittig wrote:

It keeps telling me that "Dropbox and folder are on different drives" when I try to select "Documents" (which is on a different internal drive).

As it states, your Documents folder and Dropbox folder are on different drives, which is not supported. The "backup" function (and I use the term backup very loosely in this case) works by MOVING the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into your Dropbox folder. In order to do this, they all must be on the same drive. It doesn't just sync the folders in place and store them in your Dropbox account online. The folders are actually moved and a symlink/junction is left in their place, pointing to the new folder location.

Also, the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders are the only folders that you can select for this process, and Dropbox will only sync the files and folders that are located within the Dropbox folder. If you have other folders that you want to sync to your account, you'll need to move them into your Dropbox folder.

Re: Backup/sync set up

charliewittig
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich,

Much clearer to me now.  I will work out a pattern that fits the dropbox defaults.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?