cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup turned off. Does 'some content still on Dropbox" mean it is not on my computer?

Backup turned off. Does 'some content still on Dropbox" mean it is not on my computer?

jimjunker
Explorer | Level 3

I set up Dropbox backup/sync on a number of folders on my laptop. This situation has made my life miserable (e.g., bad and stuck syncing, duplicated & divergent folders/files between computer and dropbox, heavy CPU usage, etc.) to the point where I have wasted too much time and needed to turn it off. I turned it off and received the message, "Backup stopped, but some content is still in Dropbox". Looking to Dropbox.com this appears to be all of my content from one of my folders (>100k files). It is unclear to me if this content is duplicates of files on my computer, more recent file versions, etc. and I would prefer to not go through it file-by-file to ensure I have the most up-to-date versions local. When I turn Dropbox backup off, what files/content stays on Dropbox versus what is downloaded locally?

3 Replies 3

Re: Backup turned off. Does 'some content still on Dropbox" mean it is not on my computer?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @jimjunker, thanks for posting on the Community!

As you're referring to the computer backup feature, it's possible that some files might still remain on the Dropbox site, as you've discovered.

Generally, these would be copies of the files made when you disabled the backup feature. They won't be syncing any more, so if any of the files have changed, then the site would not have the latest version of them.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Backup turned off. Does 'some content still on Dropbox" mean it is not on my computer?

jimjunker
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay Thank you for your reply,

In this case, "some files" refers to what appears to be >100k files or an entire folder and all subfolders I was attempting to actively back up. I hope they won't be syncing anymore, as that was the point of turning off backup. My question is why are there still some files on Dropbox? Given I stopped file backup because it created duplicate and divergent file structures (one within Dropbox virtual drive and one apparently still on my computer) that would never sync. Which one is where? The 'files on my computer' mentioned here (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup) are these on my computer and the files still on Dropbox.com the files previously in the (now un-synced) Dropbox virtual drives? I am trying to figure out if I am going to have to work through these conflicting file structures to find the most updated versions and copy locally onto my machine or what. If you have any insight into this it would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, I am currently working with Dropbox support to address this issue (and the myriad others contributing/leading up to it). If/when a solution is found and given it is relevant to the issue posed in the question, I will update with further information.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you're already in contact with the support team, then they would be able to provide more specific information related to your account, so I'd recommend continuing this with them.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    jimjunker Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?