Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Badge does not remember my preference to perm hide it.

Helpful | Level 6

While using Excel, Badge appears.  I go to Dropbox Prefernces to Permantly Hide badge.  The badge disappears but when I relaunch excel, the Badge reappears.

In addition, when I use Sync under preferences to move my dropbox folder to a different location on the C: drive, the folder moves, but then later Dropbox re-downloads my dropbox folders to the default install location in Users.

Seems Dropbox does not remember my preference choices.  Pls help!

PS  I just noticed I got this email from you, "A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account. To help keep your account secure, let us know if this is you."   I wonder if this has anything to do with Drobox not remembering my preferences.  I use Chrome.  I believe I accept all Cookies.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Badge does not remember my preference to perm hide it.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphine!  Thx for your quick response.   I will keep you updated.  After I typed my msg to you I tried for the 5th or so time to update my preferences and things appear to be working.  But again this happened about a week ago and then reverted to the problem I mentioned.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!  To your questions however:

Have you tried reinstalling the app by any chance?   << Yes I had to reinstall last week as I had gone over my storage limit but Dropbox would not recognized that I had deleted enough files to get below my storage limit.  So I just reinstalled the software which fixed the problem.  I'm running version v79.4.143

Also, can you confirm for me that when you disable the Badge, are you choosing the option "Never show"? << Yes Never show and unclicked "Show as Microsoft Save Location".  Just keeps coming back!

When you move the Dropbox folder, do you see the process fully complete? Since you mentioned that Dropbox downloads again to the default location, do you now have 2 Dropbox folders in both locations?  <<Yes Dropboxed completely moved my Drop folder from its default location to my desired location.  Then 2 days ago I noticed my desired location was no longer synced.  Files were there but were now static files.  I looked at the install default location and the files were there and synced.  Frustration was I had not noticed for a while so I was working on the static files in my "desired" location.

Finally, regarding the browser sign in notification, have you perhaps recently updated your browser or cleared the cache? << No to both questions.

If you check your Security page, do you see the session signed in there and do you keep receiving this email with subsequent web sign ins? << I found the Security Page but could not find the session sign in area you references.

Hey thanks for your great customer service !  I'll come back if the problem reappears.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @wongkenjames,

Have you tried reinstalling the app by any chance? I would suggest uninstalling the app completely and then downloading the latest version from here and running the installer.

If this doesn't do the trick, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer? Also, can you confirm for me that when you disable the Badge, are you choosing the option "Never show"?

When you move the Dropbox folder, do you see the process fully complete? Since you mentioned that Dropbox downloads again to the default location, do you now have 2 Dropbox folders in both locations?

Finally, regarding the browser sign in notification, have you perhaps recently updated your browser or cleared the cache? If you check your Security page, do you see the session signed in there and do you keep receiving this email with subsequent web sign ins?

Let me know what you find - thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphine!  Thx for your quick response.   I will keep you updated.  After I typed my msg to you I tried for the 5th or so time to update my preferences and things appear to be working.  But again this happened about a week ago and then reverted to the problem I mentioned.  Let's keep our fingers crossed!  To your questions however:

Have you tried reinstalling the app by any chance?   << Yes I had to reinstall last week as I had gone over my storage limit but Dropbox would not recognized that I had deleted enough files to get below my storage limit.  So I just reinstalled the software which fixed the problem.  I'm running version v79.4.143

Also, can you confirm for me that when you disable the Badge, are you choosing the option "Never show"? << Yes Never show and unclicked "Show as Microsoft Save Location".  Just keeps coming back!

When you move the Dropbox folder, do you see the process fully complete? Since you mentioned that Dropbox downloads again to the default location, do you now have 2 Dropbox folders in both locations?  <<Yes Dropboxed completely moved my Drop folder from its default location to my desired location.  Then 2 days ago I noticed my desired location was no longer synced.  Files were there but were now static files.  I looked at the install default location and the files were there and synced.  Frustration was I had not noticed for a while so I was working on the static files in my "desired" location.

Finally, regarding the browser sign in notification, have you perhaps recently updated your browser or cleared the cache? << No to both questions.

If you check your Security page, do you see the session signed in there and do you keep receiving this email with subsequent web sign ins? << I found the Security Page but could not find the session sign in area you references.

Hey thanks for your great customer service !  I'll come back if the problem reappears.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @wongkenjames,

I'm glad to hear that things appear to be going smooth so far!

Don't hesitate to give me a nudge here if the issue appears to crop up again and I'll be more than happy to help with this.

In the meantime, I hope you have a great day - thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Daphine,

It happened again.  My desired folder for my dropbox sync files is no longer the master.  The files have been copied to C:\Users\dropbox which I believe is the default location.  It is like Dropbox does not remember my prefered location.  And we discussed how I had hide the badge while Microsoft office has been forgotten and is showing again.  Help Please!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @wongkenjames, I'm sorry to hear that this issue appears to be persistent!

To have a better look into this, would you mind if I reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile? This will allow us to look into more account specific info through our Support channel.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Yes please do!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I've reached out to your email address @wongkenjames, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?