cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Uploading Large Folders

Best Practices for Uploading Large Folders

Explorer | Level 4

The small media company I work for recently made the switch to Dropbox Business. We mostly work on producing and editing videos; as such, we have a lot of folders stored on our servers that need to be uploaded to our Dropbox. These folders can range in size, but most of them are very large because they'll usually have HD or 4K raw footage and that takes up a lot of space. Obviously, we can't upload these folders directly from the web. 

I had two thoughts on how to upload them. After making sure they are properly organized, upload them to Dropbox one project folder at a time, letting them sync completely and then checking to make sure that each folder has all of its pieces in it, or zipping the folders, uploading them one at a time, and then unzipping them on Dropbox.

Most of these folders will be online only. 

Does anyone who has similar issues working with large files have any suggestions? 

3 Replies 3

Re: Best Practices for Uploading Large Folders

Dropboxer

Hi there @RedEye, thanks for posting here. 

Since you're uploading these files through the desktop app, it sounds like you're on the right track. 

Are there any features you'd like to see being implemented in the future that would help your current setup? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that we're on the right track. Is there a way to drag and drop and make a copy of a file that is originally on an external hard drive without disturbing that file? I told my boss to work around it for now by using copy and paste, but basically what she wants to do is have a back-up copy of this file on the external hard drive and have another copy on Dropbox in online only. 

As for features that would make working easier, a way to check that two folders have the same contents, and a way to easily check for duplicate files would be great. 

Dropboxer
Thanks for the feedback, @RedEye

In this case, you might be interested to look at this thread, where some users have proposed the idea for a cleaning sort of feature. 

If that doesn't cover it though, you can start your own by posting it, here

As for your first question, you should be able to create a copy of a file from your external hard drive to your Dropbox folder by holding down the Ctrl button while you drag and drop.

If you want to do it the other way around, you'll have to make sure that the file is Smart Synced as local to make sure that all of its information is carried across. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?