cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for using symlinks (symbolic links)

Best practices for using symlinks (symbolic links)

zephyr707
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

I use dropbox on linux with symlinks, but am not sure which is the best/preferred way to use them. Is there a best practice for using this type of configuration?

Currently I use symlinks in my home directory that point to the actual folders in my Dropbox folder, but I have heard of doing the inverse: placing symlinks in the dropbox folder pointing out into the home directory. Are there pros and cons to symlinking from the Dropbox folder to the home directory vs. placing a symlink in the home folder linking to inside the Dropbox folder?

What happens during a catastrophic failure triggering a need for data restoration, which method is preferred? Is there a way to dynamically create links for new entries (like .* folders)? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using soft vs. hard linking?

Any links/posts with regards to the above would be most appreciated. I acknowledge that Dropbox does not fully support symbolic links, but find them so useful I am committed to using them.

Thanks in advance!

32 Replies 32

prophetofcs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Before Dropbox changed it symbolic linking policy, I would add a symbolic link to my Dropbox folder. Dropbox would automatically upload a file whenever I added or changed it that folder. However, Dropbox has changed this feature. Therefore, I no longer need Dropbox. I can use OneDrive if I have to manually put my files in a separate folder to be synched.

malikjfernando
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks @niazy  would like some guidance on how you removed the existing desktop folder from the Mac Catalina home directory. I don't seem able to. Did you create a new desktop folder in Dropbox folder and move that locked symlink to the Mac home folder? After a restart would that delete the original desktop folder in the home folder? I'm nervous to experiment too much!

malikjfernando
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Terminal didn’t allow me to create a symlink from the newly created Desktop folder in Dropbox to the home folder saying Desktop exists. So I created a link to my desktop and tried to drag it to home folder.  It didn't allow me saying - “Desktop” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS.

Marcelo4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Niazy,

I am trying to implement your suggestion, but I find that upon creating Desktop as a symbolic link, when I bring up "Get Info" the "Locked" box, as well as everything else, is greyed out and not modofieable. Have you experienced that? I have Catalina too. 

Thank you, 

Marcelo

TLA2c
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why is this marked solved? It is still broken.

malikjfernando
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

yes no joy, really need to be able to link Mac OS Catalina desktop folder to Dropbox to be able to retrieve files from iOS as before

lopesgui
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Marcelo4,

I had the same issue with the greyed check box. I solved it by locking the folder where the symlink is inside. In my case, I locked my user folder. So far it's working. After restarting the system it stoped deleting my symlink and messing things up. I just hope I won't have problems by locking my own user folder on Mac. lol

Hope it works for you too.

jsparks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This sounds like an edge case, as plenty of users used symlinks the old way without the high CPU or missing file issue.  Using ~/Dropbox as the working directory does not fit all use cases.  Dropbox as a backup solution has been completely broken with the decision not to support symlinks.  Dropbox could fix this by having a selective backup option in the mac app (not selective sync, selective backup), but as it stands now, Dropbox is now useless for me and all those that used it as a backup solution.  This was a bad move on Dropbox's part and has forced me and others to seek out other providers.

TLA2c
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Agree, am in exact same boat - I have several things I want to keep backed up / off site, where the actual data directory can't be under my user profile / dropbox folder. Symlinks allowed this to work perfectly until blocked.

jsparks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm currently doing an initial sync with Backblaze.  Will post here how my experience is after I have a chance to kick the tires a bit.  No symlink support, but it backs up everything with unlimited storage and allows you to create links to send other people to download.  I suspect that will be enough to satisfy what I mostly need it for.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Anon 2 Explorer | Level 3
    jsparks Helpful | Level 5
    anonymous Not applicable
    siamesekitten Explorer | Level 4
    numan Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?