cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to delete files from Dropbox

Best way to delete files from Dropbox

pb111
New member | Level 2

Simply Folks,      If I delete a file from my Dropbox, does it delete from my Computer.

What's the best way to     Delete Dropbox files and to import them into Dropbox ?

For Instance:   If I am running low on space on my only main computer, can I Upload

a Folder Like Documents or Downloads to Dropbox ?  Will it delete the files on my computer ?

Hey, thanks a lot !

3 Replies 3

Re: Best way to delete files from Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello @pb111, thanks for posting!

Can you just clarify for me, are you using the Dropbox desktop app on your computer at all?

Or are you using only the website or mobile app?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pb111
New member | Level 2

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

So Sorry I did not give you enough information  I guess it is the Application, I'm using on Win 10.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @pb111!

So it does indeed look like you're using the desktop app. The app will keep the Dropbox folder on your computer and your account online in sync when changes are made in either location.

If you delete a file from Dropbox, then the file will be removed from the Dropbox folder on your computer.

If you have another copy of the same file in a different location on your computer, this one won't be affected.

Now, regarding deleting files from Dropbox, if you just want to remove the file from Dropbox and keep it on your computer, you can just move the file out of the Dropbox folder.

The same goes for importing files to Dropbox, so anything you want to add to Dropbox, you just move it to the Dropbox folder.

In terms of freeing up space on your computer, if you add files/folder to Dropbox, you can then stop them taking space on your computer by using selective sync, or Smart Sync.

Let me know if this info helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?