cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Sur M1 MacBook Pro unable to sync, possible permissions errors

Big Sur M1 MacBook Pro unable to sync, possible permissions errors

mez-
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm the admin of our Dropbox Business Advanced account. I already have the Dropbox app running perfectly on two Windows 10 Pro machines, and a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14 Mojave. I haven't changed any of the account, group, or folder share permissions recently.

I recently got a new M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.2.3, and I can't get Dropbox to sync. Specifically, I can't get our team shared folders to sync. For some reason, my personal folder (that is, my personal folder within our Business account) syncs immediately, but the team shared folders appear in Finder, but are never populated. The folder icons are present, as are the right-click context menu entries. Accessibility and full disk access have been enabled. The Dropbox icon in the menu bar shows "Syncing..." indefinitely. I left it running for six hours yesterday before giving up.

Interestingly, the Dropbox desktop application shows a padlock on each shared folder and tells me that I "don't have permission to edit this folder", which is really strange. 

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 16.23.05.jpg

I definitely do have access! I set these folders up, and as I write this, I can access them from my other machines without issue.

I've tried reinstalling Dropbox, both the latest stable and current beta versions. I reset all the permissions and deleted the account settings as suggested by "Dan" in ticket 12168474 which I'm cc'd on (this involved using chown and chmod to reset some permissions before doing a clean reinstall).

I've also tried everything in the accepted solution from this thread:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-sync-stalling-on-Big-Sur/m-p/487587#M1...

Unfortunately none of this has worked, and I'm still seeing "Syncing...", but no files are appearing.

Any help very much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Re: Big Sur M1 MacBook Pro unable to sync, possible permissions errors

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mez-, thanks for contacting us!

I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance on this matter.

They'll be able to investigate this in further detail on their end.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mez-
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, thanks for your reply. The ticket ID for this issue is #12180110.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, I've gone ahead and prioritized the ticket to expedite matters on your behalf.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?