cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Sur and Quick Link

Big Sur and Quick Link

drewbaden
New member | Level 2

I just got a new iMAC running Big Sur.  I downloaded DropBox and it syncs fine.  But QuickLook doesn't work.   That is, if I click on a file to highlight it, and hit the spacebar, I get this kind of window:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 4.54.40 PM.png

But if I do the same thing on a file that is NOT in my DropBox folder, it works fine.

Another clue:  if I try to preview the above file with QuickLook and get the above window, and then click on "Open with Preview", then QuickLook will work on that file even after I exit from Preview.   So perhaps it has to do with Dropbox not bringing the preview (thumbnails?) over when it copied over all the files in the first place.

3 Replies 3

Re: Big Sur and Quick Link

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @drewbaden, thanks for reaching out to us and I hope you had a great weekend!

Can you try moving this file out of your Dropbox folder and try to open it again, to see what happens?

Then move it back in and check again. 

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

drewbaden
New member | Level 2
The problem is solved. Here’s what happened: when I installed Dropbox I had smart sync set to online. So it didn’t actually copy the files over. So no quickLook preview! When I opened the file locally, then it copied and then quick look previews worked as usual. The clue that I should have spotted earlier was that my hard drive was almost empty, but I had several hundred G of files!

So I set smart sync to local in the Dropbox preferences. However that only changes future files. I had to go to my Dropbox folder, view and select all the sub folders, right click and set smart sync to local. This is tricky - when I right click, it showed local but I had to click on local anyway to force copying everyone over. But that did it. Now all files are local and quickLook works fine.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this, Drew!

That sounds great! Happy you were able to figure this out and resolve it.

If you ever need anything else, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    drewbaden New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?