cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank Word Documents

Blank Word Documents

Laura888
Explorer | Level 4

Twice this week, I have saved Word documents in dropbox (via desktop app), and when I've opened them a day later, they are completely blank. I can't even recover them through the Dropbox webpage-- they list no history.

Why is this happening? What do I do to stop it? Is there a way to recover these documents, which were definitely not blank when I saved them.

One of the frustrating parts is that they appear to save successfully. I save dozens of documents per week, and only some of them are saving as blank. There's no indication of which ones will save successfully and which will not.

I'm using just one computer for all of this. It does not appear to be a syncing problem.

Edit: for some reason, the system is marking my post as "Spam," and I don't know why!

31 Replies 31

Re: Blank Word Documents

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @Laura888; thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Can you please let me know if you've confirmed that the app was showing 'up to date' in your system tray/menu bar after working on those files? Do you see any sign of activity on those files in your events page?

While we're at it, what version of the Word app are you using to edit the files?

Let us know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Laura888
Explorer | Level 4

I've now discovered a third document on my other computer, so it's happening on both computers.

Both show the app is up to date.

I'm not sure what version of Word. It says Microsoft 365 on my home computer. I don't have any control over the version on my work computer. I had thought the problem was isolated to my work computer, but now I see it's on both.

Walter
Dropboxer
And what about your events page, Laura?

Do you see any sign of your files there?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Laura888
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, it's there. It's says "0 bytes".

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Laura888, regarding the events page, is there no other history on that file?

Could you try creating a new document on your computer enter some text, and save it. Does it sync normally to the site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Laura888
Explorer | Level 4

No, there's no history.

I've saved several documents today. Like I said, there's no rhyme or reason to determine if it works or not.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Laura888, could you try pausing the desktop app, saving any changes you make to your files, and resuming syncing after you close the third party app?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Laura888
Explorer | Level 4

How do I pause the desktop app, and what third party app do you mean? Save the changes where?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Laura888, you can pause the desktop app using these steps.

Afterwards, save the file in the same location, then close Word (the third party app), and then resume syncing, and let me know if the file is synced successfully to the site.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the file as it appears in the Dropbox folder and site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?