cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank word word document after saving

Blank word word document after saving

da1whoknks
New member | Level 2

A client has a word doc that is saved in dropbox shared folder.  She simply opens the document and renames it creating a new file.  The new file is then saved to the same location as the previous file.  However, the new is blank.  This has been happening intermittently over the past week.  The user can ooen the file and saved it locally with an issue.

19 Replies 19

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @da1whoknks, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you clarify if they’re saving it via the Dropbox site, or using the Word app on the machine?

Does it only occur for this document, or any other Word doc, and are they the only user to experiencing this?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

da1whoknks
New member | Level 2

The user is saving it via the word app on the machine.  It occurs for other word docs intermittenly.  She is the only user that has this issue.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that @da1whoknks!

As they're using the local app on their computer, and this app is the one that processes the rename and saving of the file, it may be that the issue lies with the Microsoft Word app they have installed on their computer.

I'd suggest making sure that the app is up to date, or even reinstalling the app to see if that does the trick.

If not, then they may need to reach out to Microsoft Support to see if they can assist further with the file not being saved properly.

I hope this info helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

janvdw
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with one of my users on Windows 10 (last updates installed), Office 365 and DropBox (version 107.4.443). Open a Word document in a DropBox folder, save it under a different name in the same folder, and intermittently it will not save, without any warning.

When turning off the DropBox app, the problem disappears.

Has there been a clear answer yet to what causes this problem?

Best regards,

Jan

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @janvdw!

Can you let me know if this occurs only within the Dropbox folder? 

If possible, can you see if this happens at all outside of the Dropbox folder while the app is running and not?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marseebar
New member | Level 2

Has anyone found a solution??

This has just started occurring to my client... exactly as described.

the MS office app save the file desktop's synced Dropbox folder. the file is saved blank 0kb and yes it appears in Dropbox cloud... aslo blank with 0kb ... there is no version history ... there is no recovery document in Word.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Marseebar, does this occur when you save files anywhere outside the Dropbox folder. 

If you quit the desktop app and then save a file, does it save correctly?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jmaura
New member | Level 2

Found this in searching for the exact same problem. Windows 10, Word 2019 Application, saves document from word (Save As) places in dropbox folder. Then goes back, document has 0KB blank document. Saving in other locations seem to work fine, But dropbox is the main saving location.

CharlieE
New member | Level 2

Same problem for me - wrote a 3000 word MS Word document last week.  Saved to DB via the desktop app, using Windows 10 computer with Office 365 (fully up to date).  Gone back in today and the file is 0kb with no version history.  Saved 100s of files to DB previously without problem.  Confusing . . .  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jmaura New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    cornelrules Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?