cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, we've brought this to our team and wanted to follow up.

While we've presented a workaround: either by turning off the "preserve file modification timestamps" setting in the application or naming the file with a ".tc" or ".hc" extension, we want to be transparent about our current priorities and unfortunately, this means that we won't be able to delve deeply into this in the near future.

We're still tracking these reports, and will make sure to inform you right away of any changes.

Thanks for understanding .

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

143 Replies 143

asimpson417
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm seeing the same thing.   It also stopped doing block-level syncs for TrueCrypt encrypted files (.tc extension).    I've been using Dropbox for years with both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt files and this new version 83.4.152 is the first update to break the detection of block-level changes when the encrypted volume is dismounted.   

Please fix ASAP!!      

PS:  The only workaround I've found is to use:   Copy filename.hc  +,,     
which forces a date modifed update on the file, but then Dropbox must upload the entire file (not just modified blocks) so it's terribly inefficient (not to mention inconvienient) .         If they don't fix soon, I'll have to switch to a different cloud storage provider.

nei a.
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I have the same issue, but I think it started with version 82.
The ugly "workaround" I use, is to copy the "file" daily to "file_yyyymmdd", this syncs, and the immediately delete the file. While the orginal file is not synced, doing this I have a daily history, I can get if needed.

I think drobox either wants to save resources or has introduced a bug, it seems that a file is no longer checked on close alone, but only on close and the file date has changed. (I use the mode to not change the timestampo of the file)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
HI all,
Actual reason is Dropbox FS restrictions set: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements#desktop Take a look especially on FS restrictions for different supported platforms.
Hope this casts some light.

nei a.
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I do not think so, windows 10 with ntfs here, that should work or do I miss something?

And it used to work until 2019-10-04 (last sync in my history), so something else must have changed. 

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, my experience is the same with @nei a., as I was able to utilize block-level sync functionality with VeraCrypt container (*.hc) and TrueCrypt (*.tc) before the 152 update.  The last time that my container showed it was modified and synced before the manual workarounds (re-uploading the entire container) was October 13th.

In terms of next steps, what would you all advise?  Is there an approach to submit this bug and escalate the issue to DB's support?

Thanks in advance, all.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

For starters, I'd suggest posting on the thread specific to the version you're having a problem with.

Beyond that, you should open a ticket with Support.

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you @Rich -- I'll relay my initial details to the version-specific thread and create a ticket with Support.

GH74
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. I have a Truecrypt and over it has stopped syncing  and the date doesnt change on the encrypted folder and online the version history doesnt record any new version unless I change the name of the file.

I will probably wait a couple of weeks but if not fixed change to another provider

GH

JAS37
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am also having the same problem. I've been using Truecrypt and Dropbox for years (and only on 1 PC), and Dropbox used to upload my changes automatically when I dismounted the Truecrypt volume at the end of a day's work. 

But, for the last few days, it has either failed to recognise that there have been any changes, or, if it does recognise changes, it renames the up-to-date version on my hard drive as a conflicted version, then starts to download the old version to my hard drive, whilst uploading the "conflicted" version.  And as both files are quite large, this takes several hours, and the upload speed slows right down to somewhere between 1 KB/sec and 100 KB/sec.

Need more support?