cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't sync - using Veracrypt

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

143 Replies 143

Ricovil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hope dropbox team will expedite resolving the issue. 

Robert778
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have also been experiencing this issue after using Dropbox for years and years with Truecrypt and Veracrypt without issue. Even when I uncheck the preserve modification times option I still have problems on Windows 10. Dropbox will sometimes claim the file is locked and then refuse to sync even though Veracrypt is closed and has no handles open.  I suspect there is a race condition where Dropbox detects its own lock on the file and then refuses to upload it. The only way I have been able to force a sync is to open the container in a hex editor and modify one byte, save the file, restore the byte, and save again. This triggers Dropbox to sync the container.

Something definitely changed from all previous versions of Dropbox.

Blex
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I change settings in Veracrypt, NOT to preserve  the File-Date, DropBox will sync the (whole) Container-File.

Settings - Preferences - uncheck "Preserve modification timestamp of tile containers"

Quila
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I think this might actually be more of a Windows issue than a Dropbox issue.  I have Dropbox installed on an Ubuntu machine as well and that one still syncs properly.  On the Windows PCs I have to uncheck the "preserve modification timestamp" to get it to sync sometimes.

I tried using pCloud which also does block sync, but it had the same problem.  Changes to Veracrypt containers on Windows computers don't get synced.  The tech support from pCloud said that all cloud file sharing services are having the same issue.  I haven't installed pCloud on my Ubuntu computer yet, but I'll do that later today.

Julia20
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thank you for letting us know about these issues! We have included a fix in v86 for files that end in '.tc' and '.hc'.

Here is the build: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-86-3-141/td-p/380327

-- Julia

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Julia20 wrote:
... We have included a fix in v86 for files that end in '.tc' and '.hc'.

Hi @Julia20,

Why particular extensions (file types) only? There is wide variety of encryption schemes/applications - with corresponding file types/extensions (or without extensions)! Is there some reason such limitations to be set? If so, what is the reason? :thinking:

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Julia20 Thanks for reply. Any more details about that beta-build? Release-Notes? Fixed issues? My files for example do not end in in *.tc and *.hc. 

they just are named like with no file-extension like "container", "encrypted" or "whatever". 

Still, if that beta build has that issue fixed, I am willing to rename relevant files. 

Has anyone tried it already? 

btbs2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Julia20!

This is nonsense... please bring it back the previous sync mode. And for all extension and with no extension files!! Thanks for solving it ASAP, I have almost lost many hours of very hard work. I thought I had copies of my local files in Dropbox and it turns out I haven't had copies in at least a month! It's crazy for me to know this 😕

btbs2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Julia20

This is nonsense... please bring it back the previous sync mode. And for all extension and with no extension files!! Thanks for solving it ASAP, I have almost lost many hours of very hard work. I thought I had copies of my local files in Dropbox and it turns out I haven't had copies in at least a month! It's crazy for me to know this 😕

Julia20
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone.

Follow-up on my post above. We allow using ".tc" and ".hc" extensions as a work around. In the meanwhile we are looking into a better long term solution.

Thank you for your patience!

Julia

Need more support?