cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

143 Replies 143

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@santhosh1000 Your reply indicates, that you didn't go through the whole thread. Please do so and feel free to edit your comment. 

marcelocarapa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@santhosh1000  escribió:

Solution is very simple. Go to settings in truecrypt/ veracrypt , in preferences window, uncheck preserve modification timestamp of file container. so that file will note modification date and time and sync in dropbox

I agree When synchronization begins Dropbox calculates the time it will take. In principle it informs hours, but quickly synchronizes within 15 seconds at the latest 2 GB and obviously only synchronizes the differences. Same behavior in three different notebooks and I have verified that the synchronization is correct. It was a surprise to find this result.

I agree that Dropbox should find a definitive solution, without having to modify third-party SW settings. Simply my comment points to the fact that the workaround works.

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@santhosh1000 Still not sure you got the point. Again: Removing the option in veracrypt is not an option. I have an 8gb file, that take of course takes WAY LONGER to sync than it would, if it would only sync the differences. Removing the option in veracrypt is not more than a workaround, but not an acceptable solution. 

asimpson417
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You do not need to change anything in VeraCrypt or TruCrypt.    The newest version of Dropbox is properly syncing just the changed blocks for those programs (as it used to do).    The original problem that spawned this forum thread has been resolved in the newer versions of Dropbox.   

Garrett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@asimpson417 wrote:

The original problem that spawned this forum thread has been resolved in the newer versions of Dropbox.   

Actually, 88.4.172 behaved the same way. I unticked the Veracrypt preserve modification timestamp option and it worked. Although after indexing it said it would take more than 2 days to upload, it finished in about minute, which was expected given the changes made in the volume.

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@asimpson417 

1. I clearly addressed to Dropbox, not to you!

2. It is not about the original problem. The issue I am describing is referenced to the problem. AGAIN: It makes no sense to create a new thread and to re-discuss the topic, as Dropbox was made aware of it through this thread, this why it should stay open and I definitely will not create a unique thread for that!

3. You still don't get it right, deactivating the modification timestamp is not an option and NEVER WILL be, as dropbox previously was working fine with the option activated.

Garrett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Tom30 wrote:

I have an 8gb file, that take of course takes WAY LONGER to sync than it would, if it would only sync the differences.

Hi, my Veracrypt volume is 10GB...it only syncs the differences after indexing, and I did not rename the container. It seems like you are implying your volume is not syncing the differences and instead uploading in entirety?

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi @Garrett , feel free to go through https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Block-level-sync-for-VeraCrypt-not-working-post-83-4-1.... I am able to use dropbox with the settings and it works fine, but only for *.vc and *.tc files. That is a workaround, stated by dropbox. I am pushing to get a solution for having block level sync (differences only) available for all type of files. 

marcelocarapa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I think it's convenient for someone from Dropbox to share an update on the final pending solution.

Need more support?