cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

143 Replies 143

nei a.
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

@John L.2   @Julia20   @Walter @Jane @Daphne

another month has  passed, no communication from dropox. 

any news on not only tc/vc  syncing, but  any filename as encrypted container,  anyone @dropbox?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @nei a.; thanks for the nudge.

I checked back on this internally and while I can with certainty tell you that this is something the team is working on resolving in the future, I'm afraid we don't have a concrete ETA to share with you. 

We'll keep you posted anyhow! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

deMangler
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It has been a month since the last update. 

I really do not want to switch from dropbox - it there any news re-this issue as block-level syncing is pretty basic functionality, that was a stand-out feature of Dropbox. There are other providers that might work but Dropbox did it best.

Any news?

Alan R.4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've just encountered this issue today after a colleague pointed out the VeraCrypt file was empty when he went to look at it. Thankfully I was still at the old PC - deleting and reuploading didn't work but then a conflicted copy appeared that had the data in it. I'm pretty shocked that this bug still persists after a year. I remember using TrueCrypter with Dropbox years ago without an issue so it's sad to see this sort of functionality regression, but even worse for it to have gone unresolved for over a year.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your updates here!

Could you just clarify for me which version of the app you have installed at the moment @Alan R.4 and @deMangler?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alan R.4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne  it's v104.4.175 (the latest stable version available from the website - I was previously on experimental version and asked to downgrade, unsurprisingly it has made no difference as the issue has been in place for about a year now!)

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming @Alan R.4!

So we can look into this in more detail, we would need to continue through our Support channel. I was able to locate your ticket with our Support team and I've passed along your comments from here.

If there's anything else that I can help with from here, please let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alan R.4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne unfortunatley your support team have just sent through a rather patronising email (below) that tells me what container files are. I'm well aware of what they are and they don't seem to have read this thread. Can you please escalate the issue to more senior tech support and ask them to actually read through this thread and come up with a fix? It used to work fine, it stopped working last year and lots of us clearly are having the same issue. As a paying Dropbox customer I must say I'm very disappointed with the level of support received thus far.

Container or package files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them including those necessary for the associated application to open them correctly. Those files are needed for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires.

If you take a look at those files in the Dropbox website or from a different operating system, in case they have already been synced, they resemble a folder (or directory) containing all the files that I mentioned before. This is not a problem, it's just the way those files are saved.

These files could be created from several different applications such as word processors, photo, video or music editors, backup apps, or any other software. Please note that those files can only be opened correctly when you use the application that created them originally and the files inside of them haven't been modified manually. In other words, Dropbox will sync those files exactly as it receives them, but it is not responsible for opening or editing them and you will still need to have the appropriate software on your computer to do so, just as with files from any other source. If the files inside the container or package were modified manually, you may receive error messages when attempting to open them even if you're using the proper application.

For more information about them or if you're having problems with them, I’d recommend contacting the customer support organization of the product you used to create those files.

Tom30
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne ,

how about some answers and a statement to my open posts months ago?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for your ongoing reports on this, and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

I understand how important this is for you, however, due to account-specific information that may be necessary to troubleshoot accordingly and to make sure that we cover as much basis, we have to continue via email for now. 

For this reason, you can submit a ticket from this page or, if you have any trouble doing so, just give us another nudge and we'll send one for you. 

If you have sent our team a ticket already, please let us know the ID (eg. #1234567) associated with it to pass your comments along to the member of the team reviewing this matter for you. 

Thank you for your time and effort!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?