cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

Block-level sync for VeraCrypt not working post 83.4.152 update

bph2019
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings all,

After DB auto-updated to 83.4.152, I noticed that the block-level syncing doesn't seem to be detecting changes anymore for my VeraCrypt container.

Before the update, everytime I dismount my VC encrypted container, DB will index the file and compare the deltas at the block-level -- syncing the block-level changes.  However, after the 152 update, I've noticed that even with lots of changes in the VC container, after I dismount, DB detects no changes to the encrypted file.  I end up having a bunch of conflicts when trying to sync between machines via the "rename the file and rename it back" approach.

Could someone share resolution or your similar experiences if you're also using encrypted containers with DB?

Thanks,

BPH

143 Replies 143

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @JAS37,

Might be more easy, as an workaround, the content get be synced, not the container. :thinking:

GH74
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have contacted support twice but they wont look into it because we are using a third party program "Truecrupt" which in their security page suggest you can use. Given they are not going to look into it there wont be a solution and so we wont be able to use dropbox with encrypted folders.

JAS37
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks GH74.  It looks as if I will just have to find another cloud backup service!

GH74
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have found a solution that works for Truecrypt and prob Veracrypt. On Truecrypt go to Settings\Preferences deselect "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and do this on all your machines. Now the whole folder will sync and the time stamp of the folder will update. It takes much longer however as it doesnt appear to be using the block level sync.

Hope it works for you as well.

FatCharlie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As I posted in the official Stable Version Thread:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-83-4-152/m-p/373133/highlight/tru...

Block Level or Incremental Sync has stopped working with 83.4.152. I use EncFSMP, it encrypts only files and doesn't use containers. Now the whole Files are getting synced.

This is really annoying.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @FatCharlie,

Try using some earlier version you know work. :wink:

Hope this helps to some extent.

FatCharlie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To proof that it doesn't be an issue with EncFSMP, I uploaded a 38mb not encrypted Excel File. It took me round about 3min. Than I modified only 2 Cells of that File. I had to wait again ~3min to sync this Excel File again. It was a full upload, not an incemental one.

@Здравко I will try your suggestion. I was wondering how I could prevent dropbox from updating to the new version. But denying the write permission could be the trick.

FatCharlie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Здравко I tried it, but it doesn't work as expected. Dropbox keeps quitting after some time and doesn't start again. In the dropbox installation folder appeared a new folder Client_83.4.152. For now I switched back to the actual version. But many thanks for your help.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Yes @FatCharlie, exactly. :wink: One temporary directory is downloaded and after that the upgader is trying move content to the actual 'Client' directory, but... can't. And that's all... continues work. This quitting is something normal and happens on all upgrade (or in particular case on try to). Is this happens again or only one time?

PS: Sorry @FatCharlie, my error. Next longer observation looks like sometimes Dropbox crashes while trying upgrade. Better solution is forbidding new Client download entirely (i.e. "Deny" on "Dropbox" directory, containing "Client" directory). After much longer waiting, seems no more unexpected quit happens (and keeps the old version):

изображение.png

FatCharlie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Здравко sadly it happens again and again. I started dropbox again, but it keeps quitting after some time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Tom30 Collaborator | Level 9
    Garrett Helpful | Level 6
    nei a. Experienced | Level 11
What do Dropbox user levels mean?