cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken connection between files in Dropbox folder on my PC, and Dropbox.com

Broken connection between files in Dropbox folder on my PC, and Dropbox.com

Akiva
Explorer | Level 4

Help! I broke the connection between the files in the Dropbox folder on my PC, and Dropbox.com. How do I relink them? They are very large files (36GB)

14 Replies 14

Re: Broken connection between files in Dropbox folder on my PC, and Dropbox.com

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @Akiva, thanks for reaching out!

Just to clarify, were you using the desktop app to sync the files on your computer with your account online?

Also, what action did you take to break the connection? Did you sign out of your account from the app?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Akiva
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, I just don't know what I did to make it happen, coz I was working on both 🙄. But it was probably with my account online.

I did not sign out of my account.

Here is a screenshot of one of the files (STF JOBS) with a grey tick:

Akiva_0-1614622305626.png

And here is inside STF JOBS, all grey ticked

Akiva_1-1614622399969.png

Inside each of these folders are all the relevant folders and files, also all grey ticked. I can open all of them, but I just can't relink them.

Thanks for reaching out to me.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots @Akiva!

Since they're showing the app sync icons, that means that they're synced with your account online.

Can you clarify for me exactly what you're referring to when you mention that they're not linked?

Did you make some changes to the files in one place that haven't synced to another?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Akiva
Explorer | Level 4

No. They all were green-ticked, which - as far as I understand - shows that they were linked. So if I opened one of the files in File Explorer and changed it, the change would be reflected in the file in the online account too. Is that correct? If not, then what is the difference between green ticks and grey ticks? Coz I'm working on one of the files right now.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for clarifying that for me @Akiva!

The grey loud icon means that the files are Smart Synced as "online only" to save hard drive space on your computer.

If you prefer to have them locally on your computer instead, you can select all the files/folder you want to change, right click them and choose "Smart Sync - Local".

You can check out more about the sync icons and what they mean here too, if you'd like to.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Akiva
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Daphne. That was helpful. I now understand Selective Sync a little better.

Please explain what the white box means (no white tick in blue background) when there is a white tick in a green roundel.

Akiva_0-1614684815621.png

The white box means that I don't see it in File Explorer, but what does the white tick in a green roundel tell me? Is the folder taking up space on my PC?

Daphne
Dropboxer
This is the selective sync window, so this is where you select which folders you want to sync from the website down to your computer @Akiva.

Those with the filled in blue check box mean that you have selected to sync this folder to your computer.

Now, the green sync icon means that the file is synced locally on your computer, and is taking space on your hard drive.

As you can see, one of the folders you have selected to sync has a grey cloud icon next to it instead, which means that instead of being local, it's "online only".

This means that you can see the folder and files within it from your File Explorer, but the files aren't taking space on your hard drive.

This is useful if you just want to see the folder structure, and maybe sync just some of the files locally to your computer.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Akiva
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks so much. I understand it now, and how to use it.

You get paid for this assistance? Or are you a volunteer?

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that @Akiva!

I help out here as I'm a Dropboxer and a member of the Support team.

So, I'm always around if you need assistance, feel free to give me a shout anytime!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?