cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother's ex-coworker closed corporate Dropbox account, all files gone on brother's machine

Highlighted

Brother's ex-coworker closed corporate Dropbox account, all files gone on brother's machine

New member | Level 2

I'm hoping maybe the experts here can help with a very unpleasant situation.

My brother works for a small business doing video production. Another coworker set up a Dropbox account (not sure if it is Pro, Enterprise, or what) for sharing files. My brother linked his own paid Dropbox account to that (I don't know the details here but I can find out), with the result that his local Dropbox folder had both all of his work-related stuff and his own personal files.

The coworker got fired.

Some time later, the business notices the Dropbox charges on their credit card. They don't know any of the details of the Dropbox account the ex-employee had set up. They ask him about them and, since he apparently still had all of the login information even after getting fired and was the account admin, his response was to close the account outright.

Shortly thereafter, my brother discovers that the local Dropbox folders on his two computers have completely vanished. He's tried to get support but, since the account is now closed, he can't login. He did open a support ticket tied to his personal paid account.

I won't speculate on whether the ex-coworker knew what would happen when he chose to close the account. It does seem to me that he should not have had the authority to close that account, since the data it contains was no longer his.

What I care about is helping my brother get his data back. This is a life-changing event for him. These files includes heart-breakingly important projects like art, screenplays, and even the irreplaceable source footage for an independent film. He's working with his employers on this, of course, but it's a classic small business and the managers aren't technical at all.

My brother has file recovery software running on the two machines right now to try to restore the deleted files. Aside from that, does anyone have ideas for how to get the files back or get the account re-opened?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Brother's ex-coworker closed corporate Dropbox account, all files gone on brother's machine

Dropboxer

Hi @munificent; thanks for joining our Community and sorry for the late response. 

It sounds like your brother was invited to join a Dropbox for Business Teams account. When this happens you get two options upon on-boarding the team, first being to join the team with your existing account and the second one to create a new one under another email address.

When someone accidentally -or not- joins a team account with their own personal account and want to go back to their personal account, they need to contact their team's admin to have them convert the affected account back to an individual one since the admin is considered the owner of the team account in question. 

That said, if the account was indeed deleted, I'm afraid there's nothing much we can do here.

In any case, I'd recommend having your brother contact our support team directly so we can look further into this with account specific information. 

I hope this helps clear things up a tad and please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?